Standing bathtub outside of bathroom?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 pm

Anyone has experience of installing that? What are the preparations and cost needed for a Finnish apartment? Is it practical?

Not inside bathroom but outside, like in American homes or this:

I guess it'd need connection to water source, sewage, ventilation and maybe an elevated platform with waterproofing? (which I'm forbidden to DIY myself in Finland yes?)

Need to set up in a way that could face a window and surrounded by my speakers. Impossible to find a bathroom with big window...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Standing bathtub outside of bathroom?

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 am

agroot wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 pm
Anyone has experience of installing that? What are the preparations and cost needed for a Finnish apartment? Is it practical?

Not inside bathroom but outside, like in American homes or this:

I guess it'd need connection to water source, sewage, ventilation and maybe an elevated platform with waterproofing?
Definitely a lot of plumbing and waterproofing.
agroot wrote:
(which I'm forbidden to DIY myself in Finland yes?)
If pipe or floor leaks, repairing the damage usually costs a 5 or 6 digit amount.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 am

You need a floor drain. In some apartments the housing company is quite strict and won’t allow these kid on major modifications. For example we were denied permission to put a bathtub in our sauna because of the massive rerouting of plumbing required.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:39 am

agroot wrote:
I guess it'd need connection to water source, sewage, ventilation and maybe an elevated platform with waterproofing? (which I'm forbidden to DIY myself in Finland yes?)
Waterproofing is not forbidden (by law) to be done by yourself, although the housing company may require a professional being used. It is also in one's interest to have the housing company check that the work is done properly, before continuing with other work in that space. Most housing companies will want to check it, makes sense to make sure that they do, effectively signing off the work in case there's issues with it later on.
agroot wrote:
Need to set up in a way that could face a window and surrounded by my speakers. Impossible to find a bathroom with big window...
IIRC there are full height windows in (some) Kalasatama high rise buildings, not sure if in the bathroom though. Still, such windows in an apartment are a rarity.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:56 am

heretostay wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 am
You need a floor drain. In some apartments the housing company is quite strict and won’t allow these kid on major modifications. For example we were denied permission to put a bathtub in our sauna because of the massive rerouting of plumbing required.
Isn't sauna right next to bathroom?

Is the difficulty due to having to hide pipes beneath floor? Can the tub be placed on an elevated platform and pipes are all laid outside in the open?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:39 am

You will have to get approval from the housing company. I would suggest you get approval before committing to purchase an apartment. For example you could make it a condition of the sale. We did not do this and assumed what we wanted was reasonable and would be approved. Now we are stuck.

amelia owen

Post by amelia owen » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:54 pm

This type of freestanding bath will have the long edge of the bath hard up against a wall. It can be a good option for those who are wanting the look of a freestanding bath but are lacking the space.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:05 pm

amelia owen wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:54 pm
This type of freestanding bath will have the long edge of the bath hard up against a wall. It can be a good option for those who are wanting the look of a freestanding bath but are lacking the space.
Thanks! I ended up choosing a normal freestanding type placed against the wall in the center, to keep both sides free for cleaning and beer.