Question about resident permit leaving Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 am

Hi,

I am not sure if this the correct section but I have a question, probably we will move to France in a few months. As my family is not European, I was wondering if can we move with their current resident permit and apply for French one from France or they need a Schengen visa? Anybody with similar experience moving between two EU countries?

Thanks,
George

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Question about resident permit leaving Finland

Post by heretostay » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:34 am

Do you have EU citizenship? If not, are you and your family from a visa free country? These things make a difference in what your options are. You cannot live in France with Finnish residence permit but if you have EU citizenship you can exercise your right of free movement and the process is easier for your family members.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:42 am

Yes, I am EU citizen, I am wondering if my family can come with me with the Finish resident permit until they get the French one or they need schengen visa as we leave Finland. Thanks!

edit: My son is American and wife from a country that requires visa.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:34 pm

gmarkoma wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 am
As my family is not European, I was wondering if can we move with their current resident permit and apply for French one from France or they need a Schengen visa? Anybody with similar experience moving between two EU countries?
gmarkoma wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:42 am
Yes, I am EU citizen, I am wondering if my family can come with me with the Finish resident permit until they get the French one or they need schengen visa as we leave Finland. Thanks!

edit: My son is American and wife from a country that requires visa.
It does not really make a difference for your question, but they have a registered right of residence as family members of an EU citizen and not a residence permit.

A right of residence registered in Finland (or a valid residence permit) includes the right to travel to all other EU countries, including France.

They can travel with you to France, and after you arrived there you can register the right of residence for the whole family in France.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:03 am

Thank you for the answer, I just didn't know when leaving Finland if they lose their resident permit directly but apparently seems no. Without resident permit my wife needs a schengen visa that's why I was wondering.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:56 am

gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:03 am
Thank you for the answer, I just didn't know when leaving Finland if they lose their resident permit directly but apparently seems no. Without resident permit my wife needs a schengen visa that's why I was wondering.
Leaving Finland isn't reason for cancelling the permit. Permanent move is, but I would say that happens after you inform dvv.fi and/or migri about the move. So maybe you can arrange the official move date and new RP/long-stay visa to overlap.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:20 am

Yes, that's correct. Thanks.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:31 pm

Upphew wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:56 am
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:03 am
Leaving Finland isn't reason for cancelling the permit. Permanent move is, but I would say that happens after you inform dvv.fi and/or migri about the move. So maybe you can arrange the official move date and new RP/long-stay visa to overlap.
There is any way a delay for Migri to make a decision to cancel the permits (they are not even required to do so). One is required by law to inform DVV so it's never "or Migri".