Work tryout and social security number

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
grosh

Post by grosh » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm

I am an EU citizen and I haven't worked in Finland before, but I really want to. I am learning Finnish, but I don't speak it well enough yet to apply for non-English jobs. I recently managed to find a company that is willing to hire me, but they want me to go through the work try-out (työkokeilu) program before hiring me properly. I have contacted TE to register, but they ask for my social security number (I didn't know I would need one as the webpage didn't mention this), which I obviously don't have since I haven't worked here before. Does anybody know how I should proceed?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Work tryout and social security number

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 am

grosh wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm
I am an EU citizen and I haven't worked in Finland before, but I really want to. I am learning Finnish, but I don't speak it well enough yet to apply for non-English jobs. I recently managed to find a company that is willing to hire me, but they want me to go through the work try-out (työkokeilu) program before hiring me properly. I have contacted TE to register, but they ask for my social security number (I didn't know I would need one as the webpage didn't mention this), which I obviously don't have since I haven't worked here before. Does anybody know how I should proceed?
See https://dvv.fi/en/foreigner-registration

The correct term is personal identity code (there's no social security number in Finland).

SecretCode

Re: Work tryout and social security number

Post by SecretCode » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:50 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 am
The correct term is personal identity code (there's no social security number in Finland).
True, but Nordea Bank English-language customer services asked me for my social security number. It may be the wrong term but it's very widely used!