Do I need to visit DVV and Poliisi?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:37 pm

I have a type B residence permit with henkilötunnus.
I have a UK passport for identification.
I plan to get a Nordea Bank account and through them strong authentication - they say the above documents are sufficient but I'm sure I will find some surprises when I go to my appointment.

Is there any need to go to a police station? That would just for a ID card, which I don't really need if I have the above, right? My Finnish partner thinks not.

DVV: I'm not clear whether Migri will have recorded the Finnish address I gave them with my application in the population register, but once I get strong authentication my understanding is I can check and enter my address online at Notification of change of address - Posti (via Registration of a foreigner | Digital and population data services agency). And that covers registering a municipality of residence:
When a permanent address is recorded, your municipality of residence in Finland is also recorded.
And then I suppose Kela, also online, though I don't know if I'll be eligible for benefits since my application is based on having sufficient funds.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jperickson

Re: Do I need to visit DVV and Poliisi?

Post by jperickson » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:00 pm

In my experience, you'll need to get the henkilökortti from the police station before you can get strong authentication from your bank. And in order to get the henkilökortti, you will need to first have your address registered/processed by DVV.

My advice would be to call the DVV and ask about the status. When I first moved to Finland, I called and they were able to "fast track" my form. I don't live in the capital region though and those things are hit or miss anyways. While you are waiting, go to a photographer and get a photo taken for the police. They will text you a code to use later. And then once you get email notification from DVV, go to the police station and apply for your henkilökortti (providing the photo code). You will get it about one week later, and then you can (finally) run to the bank. While this whole process is a pain the first time around, once you get strong authentication, the rest of your Finnish life falls into place.

As for Kela, there is a form that you can fill out and submit electronically (once you have strong auth) that will ask them to verify your eligibility and if you are eligible, you will then get a Kela card. I believe this is the form I used: https://www.kela.fi/documents/10192/3861304/SV141e.pdf

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:57 pm

Thanks!
Yes it's clear that strong authentication unlocks nearly everything. No surprise that getting strong authentication might require lots of authentication steps ...

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:30 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:57 pm
Thanks!
Yes it's clear that strong authentication unlocks nearly everything. No surprise that getting strong authentication might require lots of authentication steps ...
You can also get it by having a phone contract and applying mobile certificate. If you're employed employer would often provide phone contract for free.