Annual vacation & Job switch

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
justanotherguy

Post by justanotherguy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:28 am

Hi,

I am planning to switch my job and was wondering what happens to my yearly vacation that I earned in 2021 ?
In usual case when a person is not switching the job and when he takes the vacation he gets around 1.5 x monthly salary. But if the holidays are unused then does it translate it more money or is it "wasted" ?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Annual vacation & Job switch

Post by riku2 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:05 pm

by "switch job" do you mean leave one company and work for another? if you have unused days off then the company you are leaving will pay you the unused amount. but at the new company you start from zero , so if you start on 1st june you have zero holiday allowance to use until 2 May the next year.
In usual case when a person is not switching the job and when he takes the vacation he gets around 1.5 x monthly salary
where do you get the 1.5x figure from? that sounds like something in a collective agreement and it varies by employer. I think you are mixing up the annual leave with some kind of bonus mentioned in the collective agreement. sometimes this is called "holiday pay" which means everyone gets confused between the holiday bonus and the payment for when you are on holiday (perhaps you mean 50% bonus and 100% paid holiday to come up with the 150% figure)

From what I understand about the bonus, you only get the holiday bonus after taking the holiday (it dates from a time when people were so excited to have a month's holiday in july that they would not come back to work in August, so the "holiday bonus" was invented to entice them back to their hum drum jobs).
If you leave a company then you are not taking the holiday so you will not get the bonus. some companies are too lazy to pay the bonus based on when you actually take your holiday so will pay half the bonus before the normal "summer holiday month" and half the bonus after the summer holiday month (Nokia I'm talking about you).

Not everyone working in Finland is under the same collective agreement. Not everyone gets a holiday bonus - but everyone gets paid holidays since it's in the annual holidays act (unlike holiday bonus).