Threat of war

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sw_star

Threat of war

Post by sw_star » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:46 am

Hi All,

I'm moving to Finland with my spouse in the second week of June 2022, read on the news that Russia is angry over Finland's decision of joining NATO. I can't imagine the happiest country has to face all these!

What's the scenario there? Is there any threat of war or attack on Finland in the future? So, sad to realize how the word 'war' is becoming the reason for loss of peace of mind for common people like us, Corona has already made our lives hell.

Threat of war

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Threat of war

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:04 pm

sw_star wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:46 am
I'm moving to Finland with my spouse in the second week of June 2022, read on the news that Russia is angry over Finland's decision of joining NATO.
A decision has not yet been made.
sw_star wrote:
What's the scenario there? Is there any threat of war or attack on Finland in the future?
NATO membership would increase the risk of Finland being dragged into a war between NATO and Russia.

A Russian attack on Finland in the foreseeable is unlikely, except as part of a conflict between NATO and Russia.
Finland tends to be a moderate country that has good relations with Russia.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 am

sw_star wrote:

What's the scenario there? Is there any threat of war or attack on Finland in the future? So, sad to realize how the word 'war' is becoming the reason for loss of peace of mind for common people like us, Corona has already made our lives hell.
RuZZia is screwed financially, and can hardly afford another war. Someone gotta pay for all of it sooner or later. The incompetency of their orc army is exemplary and these clowns in field even communicate on unencrypted radio most of the time. You can listen to their comms and then them being trolled if you know how to do it.
Last edited by Oombongo on Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:28 pm

If there is a nuke shootout, joining NATO ensures we all die in the first wave painlessly, compared to slow death by radiation (fingers disappear, internal bleeding), food shortage (you eat neighbors or get eaten) and collapse of society the rest of humans would suffer for maybe decades until they hang themselves.

Nothing to worry about here op and welcome!

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:03 pm

agroot wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:28 pm
If there is a nuke shootout, joining NATO ensures we all die in the first wave painlessly, compared to slow death by radiation (fingers disappear, internal bleeding),
Radiation from nuclear weapons is not a big issue except for the ones who are where the explosion is.
Hiroshima was rebuilt directly after the war, and is a lively city again.
agroot wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:28 pm
food shortage (you eat neighbors or get eaten) and collapse of society the rest of humans would suffer for maybe decades until they hang themselves.
Society wouldn't collapse in the countries that are just spectators.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:16 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:03 pm
That was in 40s. See this list. Not kilotons today but megatons.

Also bunkers don't really work so no chance playing Fallout in real life.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:35 pm

agroot wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:16 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:03 pm
That was in 40s. See this list. Not kilotons today but megatons.

Also bunkers don't really work so no chance playing Fallout in real life.
That's all just local effects, and not large compared to volcanoes.

The eruption in Tonga this year was equivalent to around 10 megatons tnt, like a large nuclear weapon.
The eruption of Tambora 200 years ago was equivalent to around 30 gigatons tnt. That's more than all nuclear weapons today combined.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:26 am

Well, technically there are threats: threats of "military consequences" have been issued by Vladimir Putin, Dmitry Medvedev, Maria Zakharova, Sergei Lavrov, etc. They may not have explicitly threatened "war" but they have explicitly threatened to move nukes closer to the Baltic region ... nukes which are already 100km from Lithuania according to that country's PM ... so they are threatening more. They aren't explicitly threatening an "unprovoked" attack, but they have explicitly said that just about anything the West does counts as provocation, so that's a moot point.

But is it likely? No. Is it new? No. Am I worried? No. I've happily moved to Finland this month!

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:46 pm

Edited
Last edited by irnbru on Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artem123

Post by artem123 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:59 am

Hello
I am from Ukraine, we are now at war, so I advise Finland to join NATO as soon as possible, so your country will be protected. We did not have time to enter and now we have a war. Dear friends, believe me, Russia is really dangerous and it has staged a genocide of Ukrainians here.
I love everyone, I wish you all happiness and a peaceful sky above your head.

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Propaganda from both sides is all over social media at the moment and this forum may be no different. Newly registered users with opinions on the Nato topic should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Whichever side you are on it's very sad what is happening in Ukraine.

I have thought a lot about the Nato question and discussed it in different places. But one comment stood out to me. It is the Finns choice.

As a foreigner living in Finland I have concluded it's better to stay off the topic.

necadam

Post by necadam » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:27 am

artem123 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:59 am
I am from Ukraine, we are now at war, so I advise Finland to join NATO as soon as possible, so your country will be protected.
Protected from what? Conventional attack by Russia is technically almost impossible now and for many years to come, because Putin successfully destroyed most of Russian conventional military forces by attacking Ukraine. Nuclear attack, on the other hand, does not make any sense (even in Putin's world), UNLESS we are in NATO.

The only "assurance" given by NATO membership is that we officially fall into the U.S. sphere of influence... Yaaay!

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:01 pm

yrtti wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:16 pm
How about no. NATO posturing is what got you attacked in the first place. We're not at liberty to defend you at all and we don't gain a single thing by being part of NATO except further aggression and possible retaliation from our red neighbour.
Hasn't Russian government been buying property in key locations, flying their fighter jets and cyber-bulling anti-Russian journalists? All those count as attack in my book.
artem123 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:59 am
I love everyone, I wish you all happiness and a peaceful sky above your head.
Are you going to visit here? Welcome! I hope your war will be won soon
Last edited by agroot on Sun May 22, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.