Leaving Finland to the US. What happens to the pension?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Times18

Post by Times18 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 pm

Hi,

After 10 years living in Finland I am moving permanently to the US. Not a US citizen though. I have worked in the last 10 years and have paid into my pension.

1. I believe I can leave the pension fund as it is now and when I am old enough I can claim pension from Finland, which will a small amount. Is this true?

2. Can I continue paying into pension fund all by myself from abroad so I can get a full salary from Finland when I retire in the US? and if yes, what is the process of doing so. Should I pay as a self-employed person or what else? And how to calculate the amount?

Any help, suggestion or links to read more is appreciated.
:)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Leaving Finland to the US. What happens to the pension?

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:59 pm

Times18 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 pm
After 10 years living in Finland I am moving permanently to the US. Not a US citizen though. I have worked in the last 10 years and have paid into my pension.

1. I believe I can leave the pension fund as it is now and when I am old enough I can claim pension from Finland, which will a small amount. Is this true?
Työeläke wrote: Submit your pension claim to the pension institution in your country of residence. The pension provider in your country of residence will transfer your claim to Finland. In Finland, your claim will be forwarded to your earnings-related pension provider and/or Kela, depending on which pension benefit you are claiming.
Times18 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 pm
2. Can I continue paying into pension fund all by myself from abroad so I can get a full salary from Finland when I retire in the US? and if yes, what is the process of doing so. Should I pay as a self-employed person or what else? And how to calculate the amount?
The answer is likely "no", and financially the mandatory pension funds are usually not a good deal.