Driving a foreign car in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Easywaffa

Post by Easywaffa » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:35 pm

Hello,

I have one question concerning driving foreign registered cars in Finland. I am Italian, and my wife is Finnish. We are planning to spend the summer in Finland with my car registered in Italy under my name.

Since I have to work, and I won't be in Finland for the whole summer, I would like my wife to use my car whenever she needs. I have asked my insurance company if the car is covered if my wife is driving, and they confirmed.

However, my wife told me that in Finland there is a law stating that foreign cars can be driven only by the owners. Does somebody know if it is possible to work around this rule? Can I write a delegation stating that my wife have the permission of using my car?

BR,
Giacomo

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Driving a foreign car in Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Easywaffa wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Hello,

I have one question concerning driving foreign registered cars in Finland. I am Italian, and my wife is Finnish. We are planning to spend the summer in Finland with my car registered in Italy under my name.

Since I have to work, and I won't be in Finland for the whole summer, I would like my wife to use my car whenever she needs. I have asked my insurance company if the car is covered if my wife is driving, and they confirmed.

However, my wife told me that in Finland there is a law stating that foreign cars can be driven only by the owners. Does somebody know if it is possible to work around this rule? Can I write a delegation stating that my wife have the permission of using my car?

BR,
Giacomo
Which country is your wife a resident of? A person residing in Finland can use a car registered elsewhere a maximum of 14 days (without tax implications). Have your wife read https://www.veronmaksajat.fi/Asunto-ja- ... oity-auto/

Easywaffa

Post by Easywaffa » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! My wife is resident in Finland and I am resident in Italy.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:16 pm

Easywaffa wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 pm
Thanks for your quick reply! My wife is resident in Finland and I am resident in Italy.
Then it is 14 days your wife can use it without paying Finnish road taxes.

It isn’t about giving your wife permission. It is law preventing evasion of Finnish taxes.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 am

However, my wife told me that in Finland there is a law stating that foreign cars can be driven only by the owners. Does somebody know if it is possible to work around this rule?
You will find that all EU countries have a rule like this. Cars are not subject to the free market in the EU, member states have massively different approaches to the taxation of cars and they do not want residents bypassing this by driving foreign registered (and foreign taxed) cars.

Italy has similar laws preventing italian residents driving foreign registered cars
Recently, the Italian government passed a new law to crack down on the road tax ("bollo") evasion among other objectives. According to the road code article 93 and 132, effective December 4, 2018, Italian residents are no longer allowed to drive a vehicle with a foreign license plate on public road. Not only this, a qualified person is also prohibited to drive such vehicle registered to a relative, friend or colleague abroad.

Easywaffa

Post by Easywaffa » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 am

riku2 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 am
However, my wife told me that in Finland there is a law stating that foreign cars can be driven only by the owners. Does somebody know if it is possible to work around this rule?
You will find that all EU countries have a rule like this. Cars are not subject to the free market in the EU, member states have massively different approaches to the taxation of cars and they do not want residents bypassing this by driving foreign registered (and foreign taxed) cars.

Italy has similar laws preventing italian residents driving foreign registered cars
Recently, the Italian government passed a new law to crack down on the road tax ("bollo") evasion among other objectives. According to the road code article 93 and 132, effective December 4, 2018, Italian residents are no longer allowed to drive a vehicle with a foreign license plate on public road. Not only this, a qualified person is also prohibited to drive such vehicle registered to a relative, friend or colleague abroad.
Clear now… Thanks!