Travel to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Finnatic

Travel to Finland

Post by Finnatic » Thu May 12, 2022 7:26 am

Hyvää päivää,

I'm an American, and I am unvaccinated. I am looking to travel to Finland in June.

On the Raja website it seems to indicate that if I were to first enter an open country such as Iceland or Sweden, I could then travel onward to Finland. Here's the exact wording:

"There are no entry restrictions when arriving from these countries."

https://raja.fi/en/guidelines-for-borde ... g-pandemic

Does this statement mean that Finland will allow entry to American citizens arriving from other EU countries, even if they are unvaccinated? (I understand that once through the border guard, a Covid test would be required, but that is no problem).

As you can see, the exact meaning of "from" in the phrase in bold above is confusing. It seems to indicate that any person arriving via another EU country is clear to enter. But the word "from" in common parlance could also mean a person's national origin, as in "I am from America."

I have been contacting Raja for weeks trying to get a straight answer, but they keep sending me that link to their website.

I really appreciate any clarity on the matter!

Paljon kiitoksia avustasi!

Travel to Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Travel to Finland

Post by browndude » Thu May 12, 2022 2:39 pm

I would assume the wording "from" refers to someone who has been living in said country for a while (regardless of their original citizenship). Otherwise these rules would make little sense since anyone from anywhere could travel thorough e.g. Sweden or Iceland to Finland.
ImageImage

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu May 12, 2022 4:06 pm

From means country of legal residency in this case. USA is your country of legal residence.

Finnatic

Post by Finnatic » Thu May 12, 2022 4:52 pm

Ok, thanks for your help!

orys

Post by orys » Wed May 18, 2022 1:27 am

I've recently entered Finland from Sweden for the same reason (I travelled from UK, which is no longer in the EU, and to avoid eventual problems at the border came via Sweden), and they do check vaccine certificates.
Image Image

Finnatic

Post by Finnatic » Thu May 19, 2022 3:44 pm

Ok thanks for the info orys.

When did you arrive?

Peregrine415

Post by Peregrine415 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:19 am

American, I flew from Copenhagen to Helsinki on March 17 and they checked my vaccination record before I exited customs hall.
Last edited by Peregrine415 on Tue May 24, 2022 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 am

You could, you know, get vaccinated, and not worry about this while also doing good for public health.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Fri May 27, 2022 5:20 am

just get vacinated if you want to come into finland. be responsible and its based on your country as the airlines check the paperwork