Newborn baby’s name recommendation

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
lhn0218

Post by lhn0218 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 pm

Dear all,

We are thinking our newborn daughter’s name. My husband really like the name ”Celine”. I wonder if it is weird to have a name sounds like French name but the baby is not from France. Do you guys have any good recommendation for a Finnish name?

I also like the Finnish name ”Anja” , however does it sound like ”Ah!Yeah!” in Finnish?

Many thanks!!!

[email protected]

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Newborn baby’s name recommendation

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 30, 2022 10:44 am

lhn0218 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 pm
I also like the Finnish name ”Anja” , however does it sound like ”Ah!Yeah!” in Finnish?
No.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon May 30, 2022 11:25 am

lhn0218 wrote:
Dear all,

We are thinking our newborn daughter’s name. My husband really like the name ”Celine”. I wonder if it is weird to have a name sounds like French name but the baby is not from France. Do you guys have any good recommendation for a Finnish name?

Many thanks!!!

[email protected]
Think of pronoucing it as "Anya" and you're pretty close. In Finnish the letter J is pronounced differently compared to English, which can lead to having to spell names containing it unless already familiar with its written form. I've seen some publications transliterate, e.g. Jorma -> Yorma.

I'd personally prefer names like Anna, Maria, Mia, ... the pronunciation of which is close enough in various languages so that people usually know also their spelling.

Also, people tend to shorten names in (Finnish) spoken language that aren't short/easy enough already (Marleena -> Mallu, Santeri -> Santtu, Eveliina -> Eve, Susanna -> Susa/Suski,...), which is ok I guess as such, unless you want your daughter to be called by her real name. Often it's the parent's having given the name that are first to use a shortened version of it.

"Celine" to a Finn reads as "se-li-ne", i.e. three syllables, albeit I don't know what exactly would be the shorter version of it (maybe Sella?).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon May 30, 2022 1:17 pm

lhn0218 wrote:
We are thinking our newborn daughter’s name. My husband really like the name ”Celine”. I wonder if it is weird to have a name sounds like French name but the baby is not from France.
Are you French speaking?
It should be OK, but your daughter might sometimes have more to explain if born in Finland with a French name to parents without any connection to the French language.
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:25 am
I'd personally prefer names like Anna, Maria, Mia, ... the pronunciation of which is close enough in various languages so that people usually know also their spelling.
Most relevant would be the language of the parents, finding a name that fits both there and in Finland.

Example:
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:25 am
Also, people tend to shorten names in (Finnish) spoken language that aren't short/easy enough already (Marleena -> Mallu, Santeri -> Santtu, Eveliina -> Eve, Susanna -> Susa/Suski,...)
In German Susanna would be shortened to Susi.

TSharp

Post by TSharp » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:09 pm

I really like the name Anja. And yes, you pronounce the "n", so it wouldn't be "Ah yeah"

dawsonvpowell

Post by dawsonvpowell » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:42 pm

I really love the name Kalevi for boy and Kaleva for girl.