Resident permit or residence card?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
crisach

Post by crisach » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:31 pm

Hello,

I am little bit confused about which one is needed. I wonder if anyone had a similar situation. I am Eu citizen living in Finland for a few years and I got married with someone from non-EU country on a visa. On the migri page states that the family of an EU citizen need a residence card(https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members) with no mention about when the family was formed , but in the FAQ page (https://migri.fi/en/faq-eu-citizens) one of the answers states that because the family was formed after I moved to Finland my spouse needs a residence permit.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Resident permit or residence card?

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:43 pm

crisach wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:31 pm
I am little bit confused about which one is needed. I wonder if anyone had a similar situation. I am Eu citizen living in Finland for a few years and I got married with someone from non-EU country on a visa. On the migri page states that the family of an EU citizen need a residence card(https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members) with no mention about when the family was formed , but in the FAQ page (https://migri.fi/en/faq-eu-citizens) one of the answers states that because the family was formed after I moved to Finland my spouse needs a residence permit.
You are reading answers to questions that do not apply to your situation:
migri wrote: My spouse is a Finnish citizen.
If you have Finnish citizenship your spouse must apply for a residence permit, if you have only non-Finnish EU citizenship(s) your spouse can get a residence card.

crisach

Post by crisach » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:52 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I am Romanian citizen. So my understanding from this is that the spouse of finnish citizen needs to apply for something that is more tedious. :shock: :shock:

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:10 am

crisach wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:52 pm
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I am Romanian citizen. So my understanding from this is that the spouse of finnish citizen needs to apply for something that is more tedious. :shock: :shock:
That's correct. In most of the EU countries, residence under national law is less favourable than residence under EU law. On a separate note, embassy of some EU countries try to avoid recognizing the free movement right of EU citizen's family members. So if you have an embassy of Finland in the country, where your family member apply for the entry visa, that would be good for you.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:09 am

Maaria wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:10 am
On a separate note, embassy of some EU countries try to avoid recognizing the free movement right of EU citizen's family members. So if you have an embassy of Finland in the country, where your family member apply for the entry visa, that would be good for you.
That's not relevant here:
crisach wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:31 pm
I am Eu citizen living in Finland for a few years and I got married with someone from non-EU country on a visa.

crisach

Post by crisach » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:01 pm

After a few hours of search last night + the replies from here, I think I got the answers I was looking for :smile: . It seems that there is an european law which applies to eu citizens which live in another country, while the local nationals follow another law. At first glance the residence card seems better than a resident permit, though I was not able to figure out what are the long term differences. In both cases after 5 years in the country one can apply for the permanent residence.

In no page there is any mention about when did the marriage happen with respect to the moving of the eu citizen in the country