is permanant residence permit enough for citizenship?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sofiajacksonschmidt

Post by sofiajacksonschmidt » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:22 pm

i have tried to search the internet for my specific question but still dont get it, sorry if it has been discussed.

i already have a permanant residence permit and have lived in finland for 6 years with my finnish husband. things got complicated (more with the financial and housing stuff, not like i dont love him) and i have considered divorce or trial separation to see if i can figure these things out. but i signed up for the yki test so i can apply for citizenship. do i need to still be married to get the citizenship or is it enough just to have the permanant residence permit (and language skills etc)? i am not a european citizen.
thank you for sharing any experience or knowledge

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: is permanant residence permit enough for citizenship?

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:03 am

sofiajacksonschmidt wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:22 pm
i have tried to search the internet for my specific question but still dont get it, sorry if it has been discussed.

i already have a permanant residence permit and have lived in finland for 6 years with my finnish husband. things got complicated (more with the financial and housing stuff, not like i dont love him) and i have considered divorce or trial separation to see if i can figure these things out. but i signed up for the yki test so i can apply for citizenship. do i need to still be married to get the citizenship or is it enough just to have the permanant residence permit (and language skills etc)? i am not a european citizen.
thank you for sharing any experience or knowledge
You don’t need to be married.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:45 pm

You apply as an individual and if you satisfy all other requirments then your marital status is not an issue. The length of residency requirement is one year less if you are the spouse of a Finnish citizen however.
ImageImage

sofiajacksonschmidt

Post by sofiajacksonschmidt » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:10 pm

Ok thanks!