Interview for the Citizenship application

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
NeverSayNever

Post by NeverSayNever » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi,

I have recently passed the YKI test with 3 in kirjoittaminen, teksti ymmärtäminen and puheen ymmärtäminen.
According to Migri this is enough for applying for the citizenship.

I have also fulfilled all other requirements, so I am considering to submit the application.

I have been reading in this forum that there could be an interview during the application process.
What kind of interview will it be, and how long normally does it take?

Since I am still not that confident with my Finnish, especially the speaking part, what if there are parts I don't understand?

What is your experience? Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Interview for the Citizenship application

Post by browndude » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:33 pm

After you submit your application, you will at a minimum have to go prove your identity at a migri service point. If you have submitted proof of Finnish language then the interview will be in Finnish and you should be able to understand and answer the questions in Finnish at least to a decent level-if you have passed YKI with a 3 then you really should be able to do that. If you are unable to understand anything then they might ask you to provide additional proof that you know Finnish to a decent level. Some people might get called for an additional interview as well.
ImageImage

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 pm

I'm not at that level yet, so no actual experience. But my advice would be to stay in Finnish - if at all possible try to avoid asking them to explain anything in English.

Get comfortable with saying you didn't understand, asking them to repeat a sentence, or asking them to explain a word.

Anteeksi, voisitko toistaa?
Anteeksi, voisitko sanoa sen uudelleen?
En ymmärsit "poronkusema" - mitä se tarkoitta?

vilpi

Post by vilpi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:06 pm

I did the Swedish exam and I was also worried about the day I was visiting migri. It went pretty smoothly. They just asked basic questions about my application. So it wasn't like that the agent was interviewing me or evaluating my language skills, it was such that when I was there, there was some questions about my job history etc and the questions were asked in Swedish and I answered them in Swedish too. So be prepared for questions that may be about your application and your background mit is a relaxed discussion.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm

vilpi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:06 pm
I did the Swedish exam and I was also worried about the day I was visiting migri. It went pretty smoothly. They just asked basic questions about my application. So it wasn't like that the agent was interviewing me or evaluating my language skills, it was such that when I was there, there was some questions about my job history etc and the questions were asked in Swedish and I answered them in Swedish too. So be prepared for questions that may be about your application and your background mit is a relaxed discussion.

May I ask, how long did it take you to reach B1.1 in Swedish language?

vilpi

Post by vilpi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:36 pm

Maaria wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm
vilpi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:06 pm

May I ask, how long did it take you to reach B1.1 in Swedish language?

8 months self-study. Around 1 to 2 hours per day. When I did the test, I didn't expect to pass but surprisingly I passed the combination of listening and writing (imo is the easiest combination)

nicnet

Post by nicnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:34 pm

I got EXACTLY the same scores as you in the last exam : "passed the YKI test with 3 in kirjoittaminen, teksti ymmärtäminen and puheen ymmärtäminen"
Once I got the certificate in the post (about 3 weeks ago), I immediately filled in the citizenship application - all other criteria are easy in my case.
I got a cancellation slot for the "interview" 2 days after registering the application in Malmi.
It's not an interview - don't believe anyone who tells you it is.
The migri "interviewer" asked me only one question (did I have my own company in the last 5 years), to which I replied no in Finnish.
After copying all my docs, he spoke for a couple of minutes - the main thing I picked up was it was going to take at least 9 months to get a result (in line with the website guidance).
The LAW says that citizenship can be obtained with a pass in the YKI combination you have. It is THE LAW.
The migri application says if you can't discuss in Finnish with their employees, it "may" affect your application. This is very vague, and I take it to mean they might somehow double check that it was you that actually took the exam.
My advice - stop worrying. Put the application in, go see them, manage the "interview" (it's not!), and then forget the whole thing, for 9-25 months.
Enjoy!

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:00 pm

nicnet wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:34 pm
The migri "interviewer" asked me only one question (did I have my own company in the last 5 years), to which I replied no in Finnish.
After copying all my docs, he spoke for a couple of minutes - the main thing I picked up was it was going to take at least 9 months to get a result (in line with the website guidance).
The LAW says that citizenship can be obtained with a pass in the YKI combination you have. It is THE LAW.
The migri application says if you can't discuss in Finnish with their employees, it "may" affect your application. This is very vague, and I take it to mean they might somehow double check that it was you that actually took the exam.
It is simply more convenient for them to speak with you in our language, instead of having to use foreign languages (many immigrants to Finland do not even speak English). There is simply no point in switching to English when speaking with someone who shows a certificate of possessing intermediate knowledge of the Finnish language.

It is not a language test, but if something in a citizenship application looks like a fraud this will of course affect your application.
Not being able to have any conversation in Finnish despite YKI 3 would be suspicious, perfect mastering of the language is not expected with YKI 3.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:00 pm

Y77 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:14 pm
the worst part of my citizenship interview was the period I waited in the very small waiting room at the police station, in the sweet company of a family/group of africans which counted about 7 members, 4 of which very small screaming children running everywhere and their parents or wich doctors or whoever the adults were just ignored them ...they made so much noise that when they called my number to get in I didn't hear it and a member of staff had to come out and see why nobody went in when called which could have been interpreted as me not understanding numbers in finnish(not a good start)...if I were Migri I would have just told them to come back again in 5 years time for their citizenship interview and in the meantime try to learn ho to behave like human beings
Wow. That’s pretty much the most racist thing I have seen in a while. Witch doctors? Really? I think it more likely that this is a cultural difference in child rearing that you witnessed. The children were simply being children and acting just as young human beings should instead of in many western cultures where children are believed to be “good” when they are seen and not heard.

sealgat

Post by sealgat » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:19 pm

NeverSayNever wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 pm
Hi,

I have recently passed the YKI test with 3 in kirjoittaminen, teksti ymmärtäminen and puheen ymmärtäminen.
According to Migri this is enough for applying for the citizenship.

I have also fulfilled all other requirements, so I am considering to submit the application.

I have been reading in this forum that there could be an interview during the application process.
What kind of interview will it be, and how long normally does it take?

Since I am still not that confident with my Finnish, especially the speaking part, what if there are parts I don't understand?

What is your experience? Thanks!
I passed interview around 7 month ago. Got same results on YKI as you. The lady in the migri asked quite basic questions, like "give me your passport", "take your documents back" etc., probably she asked me to remove glasses "lassi pois" cause I have not glasses on passport photo, though i do not remember exactly...

She even tried to speak english but I was trying to keep Finnish LOL-). Do not worry it is not an exam. Try to repeat some easy stuff like "Mä työskentelen ... " etc. and "olen naimisissa/ei ole naimisissa" etc.

NeverSayNever

Post by NeverSayNever » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am

I got EXACTLY the same scores as you in the last exam : "passed the YKI test with 3 in kirjoittaminen, teksti ymmärtäminen and puheen ymmärtäminen"
Once I got the certificate in the post (about 3 weeks ago), I immediately filled in the citizenship application - all other criteria are easy in my case.
I got a cancellation slot for the "interview" 2 days after registering the application in Malmi.
My advice - stop worrying. Put the application in, go see them, manage the "interview" (it's not!), and then forget the whole thing, for 9-25 months.
Enjoy!
I passed interview around 7 month ago. Got same results on YKI as you. The lady in the migri asked quite basic questions, like "give me your passport", "take your documents back" etc., probably she asked me to remove glasses "lassi pois" cause I have not glasses on passport photo, though i do not remember exactly...

She even tried to speak english but I was trying to keep Finnish LOL-). Do not worry it is not an exam. Try to repeat some easy stuff like "Mä työskentelen ... " etc. and "olen naimisissa/ei ole naimisissa" etc.
I left my application yesterday and I was lucky to find an available time slot today. Just came back from Migri's Service Point, and it all went exactly as you said in this post :) I managed the whole conversation in Finnish, and the official lady understood well what I said, and I also noticed that she tried to use simple Finnish when communicating to me :)

Now it is my turn to wait :)

Thanks Nicnet, Sealgat and others! Have a nice summer :)
Last edited by NeverSayNever on Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sealgat

Post by sealgat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:14 pm

NeverSayNever wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am
Enjoy!

I left my application yesterday and I was lucky to find an available time slot today. Just came back from Migri's Service Point, and it all went exactly as you said in this post :) I managed the whole conversation in Finnish, and the official lady understood well what I said, and I also noticed that she tried to use simple Finnish when communicating to me :)

Now it is my turn to wait :)

Thanks Nicnet, Sealgat and others! Have a nice summer :)
Good luck!

Today my application jumped to the "processing" stage...now it is my turn to worry :wink: :roll: :)

NeverSayNever

Post by NeverSayNever » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi Sealgat,

Good luck, and all the best for your application!

Have a nice summer! :)

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:31 pm

I am just wondering: is it possible to have an "interview" (proof of identity) in Swedish with FINNISH YKI test results?
I have passed finnish YKI (all parts) with 3 and 4, but since then I started learning Swedish, and it is so much easier, I am speaking freely after 6 months.
I am not sure, if that will be okay to have communication in Swedish, having finnish test done :lol:

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:21 pm

broccoli wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:31 pm
I am just wondering: is it possible to have an "interview" (proof of identity) in Swedish with FINNISH YKI test results?
I have passed finnish YKI (all parts) with 3 and 4, but since then I started learning Swedish, and it is so much easier, I am speaking freely after 6 months.
I am not sure, if that will be okay to have communication in Swedish, having finnish test done :lol:
Your Finnish might be better than the Swedish of the person you will be talking to. :lol: