Interview for the Citizenship application

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Maaria

Re: Interview for the Citizenship application

Post by Maaria » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:59 pm

broccoli wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:31 pm
I am just wondering: is it possible to have an "interview" (proof of identity) in Swedish with FINNISH YKI test results?
I have passed finnish YKI (all parts) with 3 and 4, but since then I started learning Swedish, and it is so much easier, I am speaking freely after 6 months.
I am not sure, if that will be okay to have communication in Swedish, having finnish test done :lol:
I am just curious, did you self study Swedish or you attended formal swedish courses?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:49 pm

Maaria wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:59 pm
I am just curious, did you self study Swedish or you attended formal swedish courses?
both, self studying and 2 lessons per week with a native teacher

Mamusha

Post by Mamusha » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:00 pm

The interview is pretty basic and they just ask simple questions concerning your documents. I didn’t even think that it was compulsory to speak Finnish during the interview. I was actually planning to speak English. I wouldn’t advise to give much importance to Finnish language. The most important part is to fulfill all requirements

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 pm

broccoli wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:49 pm
Maaria wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:59 pm
both, self studying and 2 lessons per week with a native teacher
Just a private teacher or an institution?

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:26 am

Maaria wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 pm
Just a private teacher or an institution?
private teacher

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:54 am

Just a heads-up after an interview, as I didnt get an answer, so maybe for someone it will be useful:

I chose Swedish as my contact language, so at interview we spoke swedish. I said that I can do both languages, but the clerk said that its okay with Swedish. However, when I showed my YKI-teat in Finnish, she was a bit surprised and said - then we have to speak Finnish here :lol:
So last several minutes we spoke Finnish.

Overall they asked about my traveling, about my work and where I live.
I applied 3 months before full 4 years.

astrom

Post by astrom » Wed May 17, 2023 11:07 am

I don't know if you guys noticed it, but since the beginning of 2023 the language skills page is not stating the "we asses your language skills when you are in contact with us" section.

My uneducated guess is that finally some action is taken given last year's scandals on procedure mistakes and compliance with interpretations of the law and subsequent court rulings. Migri has been releasing statements on different actions to simplify its procedures and offer a more customer-centered experience. So this sounds like a fair assumption.

Schmania

Post by Schmania » Mon May 29, 2023 1:05 am

99% of stories I heard were “the interview was a breezer”
People were asked very basic things, like their address, the time they spent in Finland, did they ever had a company, etc.
However, I was extremely unlucky and having my YKI done in Swedish (3-4-3-3) I was expecting the officer to speak Swedish to me. The officer though had some kind of personal grudge against the swedes and just kept talking Finnish to me during the whole interview. I do understand Finnish to an extent, but I speak like a potato. I was able to communicate, though the person blatantly told me to leave my Swedish to the swedes.

I let migri know about it and I think it had an effect, anyway even that didn’t affect my application and I got a positive decision