Getting Married in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Naf9

Post by Naf9 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi there,

Getting married in Denmark is (surprisingly) not a problem. I'm a Danish citizen who got married with non-EU citizen. They don't ask many documents. If the "kommune" asks for one that you don't have (like very often they want proof from your home country that you are a bachelor), just try another "kommune", they might not ask it. And you are free to choose where you want to get married.

But regarding getting a resident permit for my husband... That has been our major, major headache since I got pregnant two years ago! So that is why I'm in Finland now.

Good luck,
Henriette

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

chriscross

Post by chriscross » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:02 pm

im a English guy living in finland with my polish girlfriend

how do i get a certificate of no impediment and where do i get it from and how much does it cost and how ong does it take to make and and and whoops

thanks!

alanok

Post by alanok » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:03 pm

Religious advice needed! My fiancee and I want to get married in Finland in a lutheran marriage ceremony but a church official has said we either need a Catholic ceremony, or have a registry office marriage with a lutheran blessing afterwards. (I am non-practising Irish Catholic, she is Finnish Lutheran; we are both living in Ireland).

We think there are some wires crossed but are not getting clear answers from church or embassies - anyone have any advice?

Also, my fiancee has been told she needs proof of never being married over here, anyone else been asked that?

Thanks...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:47 am

chriscross wrote: how do i get a certificate of no impediment and where do i get it from and how much does it cost and how ong does it take to make and and and whoops
Make the British embassy do their job for once, and give them a call ;)
Your girlfriend also needs a paper from Poland telling the same things, so now you can compete on the bureaucracies. Off to the embassy row you go ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:00 am

alanok wrote:Religious advice needed! My fiancee and I want to get married in Finland in a lutheran marriage ceremony but a church official has said we either need a Catholic ceremony, or have a registry office marriage with a lutheran blessing afterwards. (I am non-practising Irish Catholic, she is Finnish Lutheran; we are both living in Ireland).

We think there are some wires crossed but are not getting clear answers from church or embassies - anyone have any advice?
Well, basically the lutheran church can marry only its members or those in the communion. Now have you checked from the Finnish catholic church they would marry you either? It is a jurisdiction issue. In some European countries, say like France you need to make the civil registry office marriage in any case, it is, if you want no pomp and ceremony signing a document. And I'd say 99% of the people cannot make out a difference between a 'marriage' ceremony and a 'blessing' ceremony unless they know the exact spot and the different sentence.
Also, my fiancee has been told she needs proof of never being married over here, anyone else been asked that?
Well, its kind of logical if you actually think about it from their point of view. They know she wasn't married *before* she left Finland, now they're interested in the *after* part. I mean if you live in foreign places how would the Finnish authorities know anything?
Cheers, Hank W.

alanok

Post by alanok » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:39 pm

Cheers Hank. Some sites we've seen (e.g. http://evl.fi/, the main Lutheran website) say as long as one partner is Lutheran the wedding can be done in a Lutheran church; but we've heard confusing qualifiations to this that we still have to sort out.

As for my fiancee proving she's not married, i can understand the rationale, but the finnish consulate here says we need to pay a solicitor to take a statement that she's not married! Just wondered if this is what anyone else had to do.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Well, like, you culchies have no registry system do ye? :lol:

About the lutheran church, you are correct, and someone who speaks English, you could phone the seamans mission in London.
Cheers, Hank W.

pla

Getting married in Finland

Post by pla » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi,
We have ½ of an idea to get married (civil only) in Finland, we are both not from Finland and we both did spend few months there in 1999. We live in the Netherlands – for now!
Any id on where to start??
Thanks in advance !!
Paola

SAHARA

Hey its not that difficult at all

Post by SAHARA » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Im ASEAN who will be marrying Finns in this coming two days,but yep before i came to finland i did some searching for what kind of paper are needed...
Hmmm.........so i brought the statusque certificate(eg,married or divorce) that i got from my local authorities and cert from my parent that they allowed me to marry foreigner,then when im arrived in Finland i go to my embassy to logded that im currently stay in finland and asked for the certificate to get married in finland from the embassy.......but ofcoz the embassy will need you to submit all the paper that i brought from my country....based on those i got my cert that allowed me to get married here..........then my next moved i and my fiancee went to maistraati to fill up the form,copy of my passport,and the cert that i got from the embassy to be submitted then they said it will be ready in 7 working days.........after 2 weeks i did call to maistraati,then they said its ready so we make reservation for our wedding solemnisation....then congratulate us.....thats it,...........GOOD LUCK