New permit grounds extended permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
om2812

Post by om2812 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:59 pm

So ive seen a million answers from all over the place including conflicting answers on migri.
I came to Finland on a student residence permit which i am still on, my husband who is finnish and i got married recently and we want to change my residence permit to the one on family ties
Can I apply for an extended permit on the grounds of family ties even though my original permit was not on that?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dev-entrepreuner

Re: New permit grounds extended permit

Post by dev-entrepreuner » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:00 am

Hi!

Yeah you can and should apply as family type RP is type A, which is good for you in every way(unlimited work, faster citizenship) + will let you study for free.
However, keep in mind, that you should apply while you have your current RP valid. And more importantly, keep in mind that family ties RP takes around 9-13 months for Migri to process. It might take you stuck in Finland as you wouldn't be able to travel without a valid RP in your pocket, even though you would be legally residing in Finland still.

If I were you - I would get my student RP renewed, and the very same day I get the positive decision would apply for family ties (yes you can do that, it's totally legal and migri are fine with that). That way you will keep your freedom to travel, you will be less stressed about your RP situation in every way. And may be even hopefully you'd get the new permit before your current one expiers.

actualbunnyvolunteer

Re: New permit grounds extended permit

Post by actualbunnyvolunteer » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:58 am

om2812 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:59 pm
So ive seen a million answers from all over the place including conflicting answers on migri.
I came to Finland on a student residence permit which i am still on, my husband who is finnish and i got married recently and we want to change my residence permit to the one on family ties
Can I apply for an extended permit on the grounds of family ties even though my original permit was not on that?
Yes! I did it. I came to Finland on a type B permit and then applied for extended permit on the basis of family ties after marrying a Finn. I made the application online, used a code from the photo shop for the identification photo, went to the appointment at Migri accompanied by my wife, and I got a positive decision already on the drive home. It says it takes over 9 months of processing time on Migri’s website but in my case it took less than an hour.