Marriage plan processing time

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Bailey Saung

Post by Bailey Saung » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:22 am

Hi all,
I have nowhere to ask my question on my marriage plan in Finland except this forum.

My girlfriend is awaiting her RP for working in Finland. We are both non-EU (third-country) citizens and have not married yet. At first, we planned to apply for family tie visa for me as a cohabitating partner but we didn't. We decided that we are going to get married in Finland after my gf arrive and settle there. She might need to do the registration process there.

I would like to know:
- can she apply for marriage registration soon after she arrive there?
- how can I come there for completing the marriage registration (plus wedding)? (some told that I cannot marry with the tourist visa in Finland), if so, how to proceed our marriage to apply for spouse visa.
- and can I stay in Finland while awaiting for my spouse RP?

I am waiting for your precious comments/replies. Then I can prepare necessary things in time.
Thank you so much.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Marriage plan processing time

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:02 pm

Bailey Saung wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:22 am
My girlfriend is awaiting her RP for working in Finland. We are both non-EU (third-country) citizens and have not married yet. At first, we planned to apply for family tie visa for me as a cohabitating partner but we didn't. We decided that we are going to get married in Finland after my gf arrive and settle there. She might need to do the registration process there.
A cohabiting partner is treated like a spouse, if you have already lived together for 2 years the marriage won't make a difference for the residence permit.
Bailey Saung wrote:
I would like to know:
She can marry in Finland soon after moving here.
Check with the embassy of your country to Finland what documents both of you need for being able to marry in Finland.
Bailey Saung wrote:
- how can I come there for completing the marriage registration (plus wedding)? (some told that I cannot marry with the tourist visa in Finland), if so, how to proceed our marriage to apply for spouse visa.
You can marry while on a tourist visa.
Bailey Saung wrote:
Yes.

crisach

Post by crisach » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:10 pm

Hello,

Getting married in Finland is complicated enough. In order to get permission to get married the couples need to present proof of not being married in their countries. Any document emitted in another country needs to be legalised (Apostile or equivalent) and translated to English, Finnish or Swedish. If the translation is done in Finland by a certified translator it is valid, but if it is done outside of Finland is needs to be legalised as well. Documents emitted by embassies of other countries in Finland are valid to be used (language requirements still apply).
Long story but if a couple wants to get married in Finland it is a rather long process and needs to be planned well.
Lots of information on the dvv site (better explained than I did).

The first part of getting married is the "Examination of impediments". This can take up to 3 months, but it can be started before the other person arrives in Finland. The document needs to be signed outside of Finland and then sent to Finland my post. The person who lives in Finland can then go to dvv an start the procedure (the proof of not bring married has be presented).
The dvv meeting is by reservation, i would expect getting a date for 1-2 months from the present moment. Same with the marriage reservation.

Marriage is allowed if the person has entered the country legally. There is no exception to the rule so getting married on tourist visa is allowed.
Very important the tourist visa is not granted for the reason of getting married!!!!
I can not suggest anything about the visa interview, just keep in mid that.

Good luck!

(https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/)

(https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/blog/v ... questions/)

(https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/common ... -rejected/)

Bailey Saung

Post by Bailey Saung » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am

Thank you so much for kind replies which are so much helpful.
I am preparing necessary documents in advance.
Best regards,

Sammyy

Post by Sammyy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:58 pm

crisach wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:10 pm

The first part of getting married is the "Examination of impediments". This can take up to 3 months, but it can be started before the other person arrives in Finland. The document needs to be signed outside of Finland and then sent to Finland my post. The person who lives in Finland can then go to dvv an start the procedure (the proof of not bring married has be presented).
The dvv meeting is by reservation, i would expect getting a date for 1-2 months from the present moment. Same with the marriage reservation.

Marriage is allowed if the person has entered the country legally. There is no exception to the rule so getting married on tourist visa is allowed.
Very important the tourist visa is not granted for the reason of getting married!!!!
I can not suggest anything about the visa interview, just keep in mid that.
Hello!

I just registered here for this reason. :D My partner and I dating already long time and now planning to get married in Finland. The love of the lifetime but things seem so complicated :shock: I'm Finnish citizen and partner from a third country...

Really can apply for that "Examination of impediments" before partner coming and border control don't have information about us having that process ongoing... or they don't care when entering Finland? I'm afraid they would give us trouble. I read that can apply that examination by mail but need an appointment?

Regards
Sammyy
Last edited by Sammyy on Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sammyy

Post by Sammyy » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:26 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:02 pm
Bailey Saung wrote:
A cohabiting partner is treated like a spouse, if you have already lived together for 2 years the marriage won't make a difference for the residence permit.
Bailey Saung wrote:
I would like to know:
She can marry in Finland soon after moving here.
Check with the embassy of your country to Finland what documents both of you need for being able to marry in Finland.
Bailey Saung wrote:
You can marry while on a tourist visa.
Bailey Saung wrote:
Yes.
@FinlandGirl Any chance for you to PM me please?
Olisin kovin kiitollinen lisätiedoista :D

Anyone please...
When my partner applying RP online in Finland when on short Visa, does the give the rigth to wait for the RP process in Finland or does the time start only after being physically at Migri service point? :?

And follow up question: Not sound wise to make an appointment at the service point for RP even not in the country yet? :lol:
Last edited by Sammyy on Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

crisach

Post by crisach » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Sammyy wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:58 pm

Really can apply for that "Examination of impediments" before partner coming and border control don't have information about us having that process ongoing... or they don't care when entering Finland? I'm afraid they would give us trouble. I read that can apply that examination by mail but need an appointment?

Regards
Sammyy
Hello,

I can not tell for sure, but there was someone on the forum which applied for the impediments before the partner arrived to Finland. He/she claimed that the person outside signed the paper and then one who was in Finland went alone to the office. I have no official pages to back this claim.

Best regards

crisach

Post by crisach » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:03 pm

Sammyy wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:26 am
Anyone please...
When my partner applying RP online in Finland when on short Visa, does the give the rigth to wait for the RP process in Finland or does the time start only after being physically at Migri service point? :?

And follow up question: Not sound wise to make an appointment at the service point for RP even not in the country yet? :lol:
If the documents are submitted in Finland then the waiting is here. But if the submission of the documents is done via the embassy the applicant has to go there to pick up the permit.

Best regards

crisach

Post by crisach » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:04 pm

I suggest you go to the migri page and check the requirements for family based residence permit. On the same page there are FAQ which I think they will answer your questions.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am

The person will not get the paper allowing them to stay in Finland until the face to face appointment with migri. Just having submitted an application online is not enough.

crisach

Post by crisach » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:33 am

heretostay wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am
The person will not get the paper allowing them to stay in Finland until the face to face appointment with migri. Just having submitted an application online is not enough.
Actually it is, if the application is done on the enterfinland as well. But one should always check the rules.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 am

crisach wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:33 am
heretostay wrote:
Actually it is, if the application is done on the enterfinland as well. But one should always check the rules.
Where do you find this information please? Migri officer gave me different information in 2020.

crisach

Post by crisach » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:12 am

heretostay wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 am
crisach wrote:
heretostay wrote:
Where do you find this information please? Migri officer gave me different information in 2020.
It is not forbidden. Furthermore it says clear that once applied in Finland one has to wait in Finland for the decision. However there is a catch. If the residence permit is rejected there is a good chance to get a ban to entry Finland.

Of course. I am not a MIGRI official, nor a lawyer. I always recommend to check the migri pages, or call.
I did not do this. I know someone who entered Finland (Canadian), got married, and had an appointment after the 90 days allowed to stay here (he did a EU registration).

crisach

Post by crisach » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:14 am

For the OP.

you can make the migri appointment much before travelling to Finland if the other person already has the visa, if you think you will be married by that time...

crisach

Post by crisach » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:22 am

heretostay wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 am
crisach wrote:
heretostay wrote:
By the way most probably does not work for work permits or other reason permits.