Working while waiting for a residence permit

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
choom

Post by choom » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am

Hi all!

My husband is moving from Australia to Finland at the end of this year and we'll be applying for a residence permit as soon as he gets here. The question is, can he still do some work for Australia while waiting for his residence permit? He does photography and Youtube and we're wondering if it would be okay for him to sell his photos or videos online. Didn't really find information about this online so if you have any links considering the matter we'd appreciate it!

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Working while waiting for a residence permit

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:49 pm

choom wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am
My husband is moving from Australia to Finland at the end of this year and we'll be applying for a residence permit as soon as he gets here. The question is, can he still do some work for Australia while waiting for his residence permit? He does photography and Youtube and we're wondering if it would be okay for him to sell his photos or videos online. Didn't really find information about this online so if you have any links considering the matter we'd appreciate it!
You are Finnish or non-EU citizenship, and your husband will apply for a residence permit on the basis of family ties?
From the moment he moves his residence to Finland, he needs the right to work (and his worldwide income is subject to Vero taxation).
Migri wrote: You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.

choom

Post by choom » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:29 am

Yes I'm Finnish and he's applying on the basis of family ties. So even if he's got his own toiminimi he can't do anything before the residence permit?
Thank you for the answer, gonna try and find some more information!

choom

Post by choom » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am

Or should I ask is he allowed any income, he would be selling his photography online.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:18 pm

choom wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:29 am
Yes I'm Finnish and he's applying on the basis of family ties. So even if he's got his own toiminimi he can't do anything before the residence permit?
How would he be able to get his own toiminimi?
choom wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am
Or should I ask is he allowed any income, he would be selling his photography online.
He can have income, but he cannot work.
choom wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:29 am
gonna try and find some more information!
https://uusyrityskeskus.fi/apua-yrittaj ... keskukset/ might be able to help.
choom wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am
My husband is moving from Australia to Finland at the end of this year and we'll be applying for a residence permit as soon as he gets here.
Another option would be that he applies right now from home, comes as a tourist to enjoy 3 months of Finnish winter with you, and then does a 3 month vacation at home (or somewhere else outside Europe).

Authentix

Post by Authentix » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:57 am

https://migri.fi/en/faq-employment

I’m trying to figure out if I can work right now, and my RP was approved on other grounds. Finally just saw this. Scroll to the bottom. I think you can work for a foreign company if there is no ties to Finland. And you can’t apply with a remote worker permit.
The only thing is what country your paying taxes to. I’m not sure if Australia has a tax treaty with Finland, if there is, there is probably a certain amount of months where he just pays to Australia before Finland.