Renovation materials?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Renovation materials?

Post by agroot » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 am

How is the purchase and delivery of renovation materials usually done? I'm predicting problems such as:

1. Home delivery is going to be difficult since I can't be present.
2. There will be multiple batches from different shops, and they're going to be heavy.
3. I can only order the main, most costly parts, not tiny things like glues or mortar they might need during renovation.

I read on the website of at least one service provider that they can access an account on shops like stark-suomi.fi and buy all required materials, then send a bill to the customer. Is this common here? But doesn't it mean the contractor has to reserve a lot of cash beforehand? Or is it only for small things? For large items, is it common to deliver to contractor's place or just in shop waiting for them to pick up when everything is ready?

Renovation materials?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Renovation materials?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:55 am

agroot wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 am
How is the purchase and delivery of renovation materials usually done? I'm predicting problems such as:

1. Home delivery is going to be difficult since I can't be present.
2. There will be multiple batches from different shops, and they're going to be heavy.
3. I can only order the main, most costly parts, not tiny things like glues or mortar they might need during renovation.

I read on the website of at least one service provider that they can access an account on shops like stark-suomi.fi and buy all required materials, then send a bill to the customer. Is this common here? But doesn't it mean the contractor has to reserve a lot of cash beforehand? Or is it only for small things? For large items, is it common to deliver to contractor's place or just in shop waiting for them to pick up when everything is ready?
Whatever works best for you and the contractor. I'm assuming the account in your example is such that they pay the balance every now and then, not that they pay everything as they pick things up. Have you discussed with the contractor? Do you know which items need to be bought? Rest assured, the contractor will charge you (working time) for every unexpected shop run they have to make, so talk with them and agree how to proceed.

For a bathroom renovation I selected the tiles and bought them to be picked up, everything else was bought by the contractor and they billed me for it (I wouldn't have known exactly what else they need and how much). I was living in another city at the time, the whole thing was arranged "remotely".

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:55 am
For a bathroom renovation I selected the tiles and bought them to be picked up, everything else was bought by the contractor and they billed me for it (I wouldn't have known exactly what else they need and how much). I was living in another city at the time, the whole thing was arranged "remotely".
Thanks!! :D

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:17 pm

agroot wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:55 am
Thanks!! :D
That wasn't a suggestion as such, due to the circumstances I had to do it that way, for you, a different approach might be better. Again, discuss and agree with the contractor how to proceed, likely they have a workable solution in mind.

Meri1987

Post by Meri1987 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 am

Hi, I have a question connected to this topic and I hope I get an answer through this forum :) I bought an apartment built in 1973 but renovated in 2014, including the bathroom. The owner had permission from the housing company to do it and following the technical requirements. After 2 years the board of directors agreed that the pipeline renovation is needed. I was told that my bathroom will be renovated again, because the construction company doesn't give warranty if they don't do all the apartments renovation work.
Is this really the case? This doesn't make sense to me, a lot of money (and materials) will be wasted.
Does anyone know how to proceed to avoid this please?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:43 am

Meri1987 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 am
Hi, I have a question connected to this topic and I hope I get an answer through this forum :) I bought an apartment built in 1973 but renovated in 2014, including the bathroom. The owner had permission from the housing company to do it and following the technical requirements. After 2 years the board of directors agreed that the pipeline renovation is needed. I was told that my bathroom will be renovated again, because the construction company doesn't give warranty if they don't do all the apartments renovation work.
Is this really the case? This doesn't make sense to me, a lot of money (and materials) will be wasted.
Does anyone know how to proceed to avoid this please?
Pipeline renovation often requires breaking the existing surfaces in a bathroom. You can try to make your case in a housing company meeting, but if the pipeline renovation has been deemed necessary from a technical standpoint, in a way that necessitates redoing the bathrooms, there's not much case to be made (as the alternative would be to risk leaks in the future leading into an even larger renovation).

Meri1987

Post by Meri1987 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:41 pm

It seems difficult to avoid then... I will try to discuss it with the housing company board members. Thank you for replying.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:32 am

Meri1987 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 am
After 2 years the board of directors agreed that the pipeline renovation is needed. I was told that my bathroom will be renovated again, because the construction company doesn't give warranty if they don't do all the apartments renovation work.
You cannot. The renovations are enforced by the board and a shareholder (which you are, not an owner) cannot simply refuse.

And yes money and materials will be wasted. That's why people usually avoid old apartments in which pipe renovations haven't been done.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:23 pm

Which is why I don't like owning or living in apartments in Finland.

A colleague of mine, the renovation amounted to 70.000e. The price of the apartment ~205.000.

I wondered: ⅓ of the price of the apartment is just pipes. That's a load of ... ahem.

The apartment was bought about ~205.000e, and the selling value remains at ~230.000, including the loan (rahoitus-vastike).

Bad investment in my opinion!