Can't find a daycare place. What to do?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
KatherineJoanna

Post by KatherineJoanna » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 pm

We live in Järvenpää and our baby is due to start daycare next month, at the age of 8 months. Or would be, if we could find a place.

We have just been informed that we did not get a place at the daycare five minutes from our house and will instead be offered one that is over an hour's walk away. This is a problem because I am still suffering with hip pain following the birth of my baby, and it is physically impossible for me to walk this distance. Public transport is extremely limited and still involves at least 25 minutes of walking. I can walk about 15 minutes each way, as I will have to walk it four times a day. There are three daycares within this distance of our house (including a private one), but none of them have places.

My husband and I both need to work – we have a mortgage and cannot survive on one income + Kela care allowance. We cannot afford a car. We enquired from the city about childminders and were told we can expect a one year wait.

What do we do?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Can't find a daycare place. What to do?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:46 am

KatherineJoanna wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 pm
We live in Järvenpää and our baby is due to start daycare next month, at the age of 8 months. Or would be, if we could find a place.

We have just been informed that we did not get a place at the daycare five minutes from our house and will instead be offered one that is over an hour's walk away. This is a problem because I am still suffering with hip pain following the birth of my baby, and it is physically impossible for me to walk this distance. Public transport is extremely limited and still involves at least 25 minutes of walking. I can walk about 15 minutes each way, as I will have to walk it four times a day. There are three daycares within this distance of our house (including a private one), but none of them have places.

My husband and I both need to work – we have a mortgage and cannot survive on one income + Kela care allowance. We cannot afford a car. We enquired from the city about childminders and were told we can expect a one year wait.

What do we do?
You could match the hours in daycare to the schedule of your husband and have him take your baby.

nikskate

Re: Can't find a daycare place. What to do?

Post by nikskate » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:41 pm

What about finding a daycare close to where you work or at least on the way to it?