Opening a shop for non-eu citizens in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
gigibadid

Post by gigibadid » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Hello everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day and I am asking my question below kindly.

I have been living in Finland for almost 1 year with my husband. We both have jobs here and doing okay.

My mother and father are also non-eu citizens. I want them to move here also. My father is a teacher in the applied science school and his branch is air conditioning and refrigeration technology, my mother is also a fine arts teacher. I was wondering if it is possible either one of them to open a shop on their abilities and work here? Is there anyone who knows about the possibility or the process?

Thanks a lot!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Opening a shop for non-eu citizens in Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:25 am

gigibadid wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:01 pm
Hello everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day and I am asking my question below kindly.

I have been living in Finland for almost 1 year with my husband. We both have jobs here and doing okay.

My mother and father are also non-eu citizens. I want them to move here also. My father is a teacher in the applied science school and his branch is air conditioning and refrigeration technology, my mother is also a fine arts teacher. I was wondering if it is possible either one of them to open a shop on their abilities and work here? Is there anyone who knows about the possibility or the process?

Thanks a lot!
Possible, yes, but employment opportunities for teaching in general are greatly reduced if not speaking Finnish. Additionally, for the employer, hiring a non-EU citizen requires going through more bureaucracy. I don't know if labor market testing applies to teaching jobs (i.e. being able to hire only if suitable candidates for the job aren't available within EU/EEA). If by "opening a shop" you mean literally settings up a business of their own, then it's another matter, of course.

gigibadid

Post by gigibadid » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm

Hi &FinnGuyHelsinki.

Thanks for your kind answer!!

Actually I wanted to mean that if my father can open a shop of his own to provide service to people about air conditions, installations of machines, plumbing kind of things.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:05 pm

gigibadid wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm
Hi &FinnGuyHelsinki.

Thanks for your kind answer!!

Actually I wanted to mean that if my father can open a shop of his own to provide service to people about air conditions, installations of machines, plumbing kind of things.
Surely it's doable, albeit there are quite a few things that will be different compared to where he's from; the clientele (many of which speak Finnish *), the local building code and regulations, and the laws related to running a business in general.

*) Personally I'd stuggle buying e.g. air conditioning for a house in English, as I don't know the associated terminology (in English).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:46 pm

gigibadid wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:01 pm
The first step would be a business plan demonstrating that they will have at least 1700 Euro monthly (after tax) profit to live from their business income:
Migri wrote:Your business must be profitable. Your means of support must be secured by your income from your business. A Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre) will assess whether you meet these requirements.
I doubt they would be able to demonstrate that unless they already have contracts signed with customers.