sign different job contracts with the same starting time

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
nokiassa

Post by nokiassa » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:13 am

Is it possible to sign multiple job contracts with the same starting time, and then decide to reject one of them later?

Say, I have an offer from company 1, I signed the contract with company 1, starting after 1 month. Two weeks later I got another offer from company 2. This time is it possible if I can sign the contract with company 2 before rescinding my already signed contract with company 1?

Eventually, I need to choose either of them, but if I give company 1 some time to process instead of rescinding right away, I may receive a better counter-offer from company 1.

I just give an example where there are 2 companies, but things may be a bit involved where there are 2+ companies and I don't want to make any of them unhappy before everything is signed since I will put myself at risk of being all rejected by them (?)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: sign different job contracts with the same starting time

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 am

nokiassa wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:13 am
Is it possible to sign multiple job contracts with the same starting time, and then decide to reject one of them later?

Say, I have an offer from company 1, I signed the contract with company 1, starting after 1 month. Two weeks later I got another offer from company 2. This time is it possible if I can sign the contract with company 2 before rescinding my already signed contract with company 1?

Eventually, I need to choose either of them, but if I give company 1 some time to process instead of rescinding right away, I may receive a better counter-offer from company 1.

I just give an example where there are 2 companies, but things may be a bit involved where there are 2+ companies and I don't want to make any of them unhappy before everything is signed since I will put myself at risk of being all rejected by them (?)
Depends on what the contact says, so I suggest you read that thoroughly if you already haven't. A contract means you have agreed to something, and you may be liable for paying compensation if you don't do that.

Before the work has started, notice periods dictated by law for terminating a contract apply. After the work has started, if there's a probation period, either party (the employee or the employer) may terminate a contract immediately. Also, in some cases, a non-compete agreement is included in the contract, i.e. you cannot work in the same field for a certain period, after having resigned.

I would suggest against shopping around signing (time-wise overlapping) contracts while you're still under some obligation to an existing one. You have already agreed to the first offer by signing a contract, trying to re-negotiate that even before the work has started may result in the employer terminating the contract (how can they trust you with the work if you cannot even hold up your end of a contract you just signed).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:42 pm

nokiassa wrote:

You cannot rescind an already signed contract.
nokiassa wrote:
Company 1 can demand a compensation from you for your breach of contract.

nokiassa

Post by nokiassa » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:09 pm

Thanks for the answers. I reread the contract and saw no mention of rescinding the offer. The contract does mention non-competitive engagement but since I got offers from different industries even so I don't think that applies. Otherwise, it mentions that it follows the Employment Contracts Act. But that is pretty much it.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:05 am

nokiassa wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:09 pm
Thanks for the answers. I reread the contract and saw no mention of rescinding the offer. The contract does mention non-competitive engagement but since I got offers from different industries even so I don't think that applies. Otherwise, it mentions that it follows the Employment Contracts Act. But that is pretty much it.
The Employment Contracts Act states the amount of compensation you owe your employer if you terminate an employment without following the notice period.

nokiassa

Post by nokiassa » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:34 pm

Thanks again! So in that case what should be the period of notice if I want to withdraw before the contract starts? I could not find that information anywhere.

nokiassa

Post by nokiassa » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:32 am

I called 358 295 016 000 to ask about it and they said it's 2 weeks if I work less than 5 years, which is applicable in my case. For further information read here: https://www.tyosuojelu.fi/web/en/employ ... t-contract