Working for a American company with branch in Helsinki

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ox3b987sj

Post by ox3b987sj » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi,
I moved to Finland in 2020 on a visa sponsored by my current Finnish employer. Last year, the residence permit was renewed for another 4 years and its valid until December 2025. I will be eligible for permanent residence in 2023 given my 4 years of work and residence in Finalnd.

I have now received an offer of employment from the Finnish branch/office of an American company. I was initially skeptical but they have a locally registered office (oy) in Helsinki and upon further research, it turns out they are already growing in Finland. My employment offer specifies a USD salary but it will be paid via a local entity in Euros. When I discussed with HR, they stated (and it says the same in the employment contract) that I will be an employee of the local company and all payroll processing will be done locally in line with local Finnish laws.

My question is - would this in any way harm my chances of a permanent residence? Can they, for example, raise an issue that the employer is not Finnish and I must have a Finnish employer to be able to continue to live in Finland or get permanent residence?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Working for a American company with branch in Helsinki

Post by riku2 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:25 pm

If they have a Finnish registered legal entity then it's the same as working for a Finnish company. if you work for Oracle Finland you're working for a Finnish employer despite the fact that Oracle started business in the USA. I work for a Swedish company with Finnish Oy created to employ me and my other three colleagues in Finland. We follow Finnish employment law (plus any better bits that they have in Sweden like six weeks holiday instead of the Finnish five weeks).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:11 pm

ox3b987sj wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:54 pm
My employment offer specifies a USD salary but it will be paid via a local entity in Euros.
What will be specified in the actual contract?

If the employment contract is specifying a salary in a foreign currency that would be very unusual for an employment in Finland, I do not know whether that might also cause problems at some point.

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 pm

wouldn't there be conflicts with the collective agreement of your industry?

for example, if there is a minimum 1% percent increase every year, but usd drops next year against euro, you could have less salary in euro even with 1% more in usd?

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:35 pm

agroot wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 pm
I think collective agreements only apply to those employers who sign up for it (what is known in the UK as a "closed shop", ie everyone working there is subject to some union negotiated contract whether you like it or not - happily made illegal in 1990 in the UK).

In my case there is no collective agreement even though i'm employed by a company registered in Finland. Market forces set the pay and conditions, which is fine by me.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:12 pm

riku2 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:35 pm
agroot wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 pm
I think collective agreements only apply to those employers who sign up for it
That's not true, when a sector has an universally binding collective agreement it is binding for all employers.

browndude

Post by browndude » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:16 pm

ox3b987sj wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:54 pm
Hi,
I moved to Finland in 2020 on a visa sponsored by my current Finnish employer. Last year, the residence permit was renewed for another 4 years and its valid until December 2025. I will be eligible for permanent residence in 2023 given my 4 years of work and residence in Finalnd.

I have now received an offer of employment from the Finnish branch/office of an American company. I was initially skeptical but they have a locally registered office (oy) in Helsinki and upon further research, it turns out they are already growing in Finland. My employment offer specifies a USD salary but it will be paid via a local entity in Euros. When I discussed with HR, they stated (and it says the same in the employment contract) that I will be an employee of the local company and all payroll processing will be done locally in line with local Finnish laws.

My question is - would this in any way harm my chances of a permanent residence? Can they, for example, raise an issue that the employer is not Finnish and I must have a Finnish employer to be able to continue to live in Finland or get permanent residence?

Thank you so much for your help.
It is a non-issue.
ImageImage