How realistic is this dream of mine to move to Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Epsi19

Post by Epsi19 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:32 pm

Hi dear people of Finland ,

I have been dreaming of moving to one of the Nordic countries for a couple of years now , with Finland being the most interesting to me.

I am a 20 year old student from Belgium, currently finishing an education in gardening and once I'm done I will study to become a social worker as well. Ideally , I will do both a part time gardening and social work job. One to satisfy the need to be in nature and be active physically and the other to help others and keep my mind sharp so to say ^^

I dream of living in a very calm place with a lot of nature around me , don't mind the cold nor working in it(it got to -7c in the night here a while ago and I was chilling with my window open and wearing a t-shirt) , I'm an introverted and calm person , intelligent in some ways but a knucklehead in others.

Would you say It's achievable for me to move there and be able to live comfortably and peacefully? Would you say Finland is in need for immigrants like me or would Sweden/Norway (or even Iceland haha) be a better pick?

How hard would you say it is to find make friends or find a partner? How would you say people treat immigrants? Is the country continuing to develop in a socially-oriented way or is the far-right making a comeback there as well?

Any immigrants living in Finland wanting to share their experiences moving to and living in Finland would be greatly appreciated as well :)
And yes , I am aware that the language is difficult to learn and that It's necessary for 90% of the jobs , I will make sure I know a decent amount before moving ❤

Thank you very much for your time and best regards (and happy Christmas!!)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

network_engineer

Re: How realistic is this dream of mine to move to Finland?

Post by network_engineer » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:54 pm

Out of sheer curiosity, what in your opinion is the difference between a 'dream' and a 'nightmare'?

On a lighter note. My view? A 'nightmare' always starts out as a 'dream'. :twisted:

Subtle-hint there, no?

agroot

Re: How realistic is this dream of mine to move to Finland?

Post by agroot » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:30 pm

Epsi19 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:32 pm
Any immigrants living in Finland wanting to share their experiences moving to and living in Finland would be greatly appreciated as well :)
And yes , I am aware that the language is difficult to learn and that It's necessary for 90% of the jobs , I will make sure I know a decent amount before moving ❤
Learning the language doesn't automatically make you eligible and many have learned the hard way, unless you work in certain fields.

I'd recommend changing the goal to finding a dream job or education (with future job guaranteed) in any Nordic country, instead of targeting a specific place.