Having my family with me in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gigibadid

Post by gigibadid » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:13 pm

Hi, is it possible to take my family here to live with me? My dad and mom is retired teachers and they have enough money to take care of themselves here but also I am financially in a good state, I can support them too beside my husband and me. Do you have any examples on this, or what are your thoughts, suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MeM

Re: Having my family with me in Finland

Post by MeM » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:05 pm

Hello,

I suppose that you are not an EU citizen.

In general, the family member in the Finnish law is the spouse, cohabitant, underage children and parents if you are an underage. Therefore, parents are not considered a family member for employed person.

However, I asked one time before about residence permit for my mother an they mentioned that I should be a Finish citizen OR, in some cases, if we, me and my parents, applied at the same time for the first residence permit. If you applied already then they will not be able to get it. The point here, as I understood, is to justify why you would like to bring them and the only validation, as much as I understand, is that I always live with them because they need me to take care of them (no one else can do that) then this is may be a valid reason and hopefully they can apply for a family ties residence (pls, keep in mind the financial requirements around 800 per person per month for them). Have a look at this link for more information (https://migri.fi/en/faq-family).

You can also try to call/email them and explain the situation.

Hope it helps and good luck.