Residence permit for newborn

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Chaouki

Post by Chaouki » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:37 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has recently applied for a residence permit for a newborn. How long did it take to get the residence permit? And dod you apply before getting the passport or after it?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Dragun38

Re: Residence permit for newborn

Post by Dragun38 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:54 am

Chaouki wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:37 pm
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has recently applied for a residence permit for a newborn. How long did it take to get the residence permit? And dod you apply before getting the passport or after it?

Thanks!
Hi,

I applied for my son when he was born. You should apply within 3 after child is born. Normally you should get a passport for his residence permit application, but if you have not received it yet Migri would accept the application and ask you to attach passport once you get it. However, if you are in the same situation as I was then the process could be a bit different. In my case, embassy of my country is in Sweden and in order to apply for passport child must be present at embassy. However, in order to travel to Sweden child should have a passport or other travel document. Hence, when we applied for residence permit for my son i put an explanation why he does not have a passport and at the same time applied for Alien's passport in order to travel to Sweden. So in short after 5 months processing I received his residence permit and Alien's passport at the same time.

Chaouki

Post by Chaouki » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 am

Dragun38 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:54 am
Chaouki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Hi,

I applied for my son when he was born. You should apply within 3 after child is born. Normally you should get a passport for his residence permit application, but if you have not received it yet Migri would accept the application and ask you to attach passport once you get it. However, if you are in the same situation as I was then the process could be a bit different. In my case, embassy of my country is in Sweden and in order to apply for passport child must be present at embassy. However, in order to travel to Sweden child should have a passport or other travel document. Hence, when we applied for residence permit for my son i put an explanation why he does not have a passport and at the same time applied for Alien's passport in order to travel to Sweden. So in short after 5 months processing I received his residence permit and Alien's passport at the same time.
Thank you for your detailed answer. Do you happen to remember how long it took from the moment you added the passport to the application? I also will have to apply for a passport which may take some time before getting it but was curious about the timeline once the passport is added to the application. Thanks!

Dragun38

Post by Dragun38 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:51 pm

Chaouki wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 am
Dragun38 wrote:
Chaouki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Hi,

Thank you for your detailed answer. Do you happen to remember how long it took from the moment you added the passport to the application? I also will have to apply for a passport which may take some time before getting it but was curious about the timeline once the passport is added to the application. Thanks!
Hi,
Unfortunately, I cannot answer 100% right, because I our case we applied for Alien's passport along residence permit and Migri sent them both. But what I have seen from colleague of mine, they will accept your application without passport and they will process it once you submit the passport.
In my case we applied for residence permit and Alien's passport and then once we got both of them we travel to home country to get passport. Once we had put national passport we sent Alien's passport back to Migri
This is the Alien passport I am talking about https://migri.fi/en/alien-s-passport

Chaouki

Post by Chaouki » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:17 pm

Dragun38 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:51 pm
Chaouki wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 am
Dragun38 wrote:

Hi,

Hi,
Unfortunately, I cannot answer 100% right, because I our case we applied for Alien's passport along residence permit and Migri sent them both. But what I have seen from colleague of mine, they will accept your application without passport and they will process it once you submit the passport.
In my case we applied for residence permit and Alien's passport and then once we got both of them we travel to home country to get passport. Once we had put national passport we sent Alien's passport back to Migri
This is the Alien passport I am talking about https://migri.fi/en/alien-s-passport
I see, thanks for the clarification!

kunglao

Post by kunglao » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:00 pm

Dragun38 wrote:
Chaouki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Hi,

I was in a similar situation (home country's embassy is in Sweden so child needs to travel to Sweden to apply for a passport with which I would apply for their residence permit in Finland). I just flew with the the child to Sweden without a passport, only identifying the child with their birth certificate. The airline let us board when I told them that we are going to Sweden to apply for their passport. You don't need a passport to move around within Nordic countries. There was another day I forgot my passport a Viking line was happy to let me board to Sweden even though I later decided to hurry back home to pick it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Pa ... ic_borders

bekean

Post by bekean » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:04 am

kunglao wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:00 pm
Dragun38 wrote:
Chaouki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Hi,

I was in a similar situation (home country's embassy is in Sweden so child needs to travel to Sweden to apply for a passport with which I would apply for their residence permit in Finland). I just flew with the the child to Sweden without a passport, only identifying the child with their birth certificate. The airline let us board when I told them that we are going to Sweden to apply for their passport. You don't need a passport to move around within Nordic countries. There was another day I forgot my passport a Viking line was happy to let me board to Sweden even though I later decided to hurry back home to pick it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Pa ... c_borders/ wordle
Your situation highlights the importance of communication and explaining your purpose for travel to the transportation staff, as well as the flexibility of certain policies, particularly within the Nordic countries. It's also beneficial for others to be aware of such possibilities, especially when dealing with unique circumstances related to passport and residence permit processes.