Social security

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
charlesirwin22

Social security

Post by charlesirwin22 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 pm

Hypothetical question: if I were to move to finland, will I still get my social security check from America after I receive my residency permit?

Social security

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Social security

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:24 am

charlesirwin22 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 pm
Hypothetical question: if I were to move to finland, will I still get my social security check from America after I receive my residency permit?
Depending on the agreement between Finland and the US, you might have to pay Finnish income tax on such income.

Whether US welfare payments are paid to people living abroad you have to ask from your welfare provider in the US.

betelgeuse

Re: Social security

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:53 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:24 am
charlesirwin22 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 pm
Depending on the agreement between Finland and the US, you might have to pay Finnish income tax on such income.
” pensions and other payments under the social security legislation of a Contracting State and, where that Contracting State is the United States, other public pensions, paid to a resident of the other Contracting State or a citizen of the United States shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State.”

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/finland.pdf