What to do after citizenship application is approved?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
vla

Post by vla » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:20 am

Hello everyone!

So I have just been granted Finnish citizenship, but what now? I know I should apply passport from the police and that I can vote in the parlament elections in april, but is there anything else that I should do?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: What to do after citizenship application is approved?

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:05 pm

vla wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:20 am
Hello everyone!

So I have just been granted Finnish citizenship, but what now? I know I should apply passport from the police and that I can vote in the parlament elections in april, but is there anything else that I should do?
Unless you had citizenship already in early February, you can’t vote. All eligible voters have been notified with a letter from DVV.

https://vaalit.fi/aikataulut

browndude

Post by browndude » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:34 pm

Your citizenship info. gets updated immediately in most cases in the official records. I applied for a Finnish passport the same day that I got my Finnish citizenship and got it the very next day-I travel a lot internationally. I would suggest that you get your Finnish passport and/or ID ASAP since your residency permit and non-citizen ID card get invalidated as soon as you get your Finnish citizenship. You should consider informing your bank about your change of status and such.
ImageImage

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:00 pm

how long did you wait for the decision?

vla

Post by vla » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:45 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:05 pm
vla wrote:
Hello everyone!

Unless you had citizenship already in early February, you can’t vote. All eligible voters have been notified with a letter from DVV.

I actually can vote, I have already validated this in the ministry of justice. In february they just sent the notifications, but you don't need the notification to actually vote, just some prove of ID. They already told me what is my assigned place.

vla

Post by vla » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:46 pm

vla wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:45 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
vla wrote:
Hello everyone!

I actually can vote, I have already validated this in the ministry of justice. In february they just sent the notifications, but you don't need the notification to actually vote, just some prove of ID. They already told me what is my assigned place.
And actually according to the law there are only two requirements: That you have turned 18 yo at least on the election day, and that you are finnish citizen.

vla

Post by vla » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 pm

broccoli wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:00 pm
how long did you wait for the decision?
Two months and three weeks. I was very surprised since they told me in december when I went to the office that it could take up to two years.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 am

vla wrote:
You should inform your other citizenship countries of your new citizenship.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am

vla wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
vla wrote:
Hello everyone!

You don't need the notification but you need be in the voting register. How else would the official verify your right to vote?

"For each election, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency establishes a register of eligible voters (a voting register) based on the Population Information System no later than on the Wednesday of the week six weeks before the day of the election. Information on each person with the right to vote is entered in the register as it appears in the Population Information System on Friday at 12 midnight seven weeks prior to the day of the election."

https://dvv.fi/en/voting-register

On what date did you become a citizen? The comment about assigned place implies you are in the register (and have received citizenship early enough).

vla

Post by vla » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:32 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am
vla wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:

You don't need the notification but you need be in the voting register. How else would the official verify your right to vote?

"For each election, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency establishes a register of eligible voters (a voting register) based on the Population Information System no later than on the Wednesday of the week six weeks before the day of the election. Information on each person with the right to vote is entered in the register as it appears in the Population Information System on Friday at 12 midnight seven weeks prior to the day of the election."

On what date did you become a citizen? The comment about assigned place implies you are in the register (and have received citizenship early enough).
I call the ministry of justice, they told me that they have a department that checks the new citizenships and put them in the registry and assign voting places. They told me I can vote, so I believe their word.

I got the citizenship on monday (13th) and on tuesday I was already in the registry.

vla

Post by vla » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:36 am

vla wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:32 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am
vla wrote:

I call the ministry of justice, they told me that they have a department that checks the new citizenships and put them in the registry and assign voting places. They told me I can vote, so I believe their word.

I got the citizenship on monday (13th) and on tuesday I was already in the registry.
I also check the link that you sent but in finnish (https://dvv.fi/aanioikeusrekisteri), and it says this:

"Ratkaisemme oikaisuvaatimukset viimeistään 13. päivänä ennen vaalipäivää. Äänioikeusrekisteri tulee lainvoimaiseksi 12. päivänä ennen vaalipäivää.".

So the cut it 12 days before the election, I guess I was lucky enough.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:48 pm

vla wrote:

It was suprisingly hard to find info about this process but indeed:

” Lisäyksissä olisi kyse äänioikeutetuista henkilöistä, jotka oikeudettomasti, esimerkiksi jonkin rekisteriteknisen syyn vuoksi ovat jääneet ottamatta rekisteriin, vaikka he ovat äänioikeutettuja, tai henkilöistä, jotka saavat Suomen kansalaisuuden äänioikeusrekisterin perustamisajankohdan jälkeen.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/esitykset/he/1995/19950175

Even then you should receive the notification card:

” Lisättäessä henkilö äänioikeusrekisteriin hänelle on viipymättä lähetettävä ilmoituskortti.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 14#O1L3P27

vla

Post by vla » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:34 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:48 pm
vla wrote:

It was suprisingly hard to find info about this process but indeed:

” Lisäyksissä olisi kyse äänioikeutetuista henkilöistä, jotka oikeudettomasti, esimerkiksi jonkin rekisteriteknisen syyn vuoksi ovat jääneet ottamatta rekisteriin, vaikka he ovat äänioikeutettuja, tai henkilöistä, jotka saavat Suomen kansalaisuuden äänioikeusrekisterin perustamisajankohdan jälkeen.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/esitykset/he/1995/19950175

Even then you should receive the notification card:

” Lisättäessä henkilö äänioikeusrekisteriin hänelle on viipymättä lähetettävä ilmoituskortti.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 14#O1L3P27
They said that they will send the card but it’s possible that it cannot reach on time. For some reason they have to send it via post and not electronically. But anyway they said also that the card is not needed for voting.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 pm

vla wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:34 pm
They said that they will send the card but it’s possible that it cannot reach on time. For some reason they have to send it via post and not electronically. But anyway they said also that the card is not needed for voting.
Are you registered for Suomi.fi-messages?

vla

Post by vla » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:44 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 pm
vla wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:34 pm
Are you registered for Suomi.fi-messages?
Yes, but they said in this cases it will only come by post, since it’s outside the main process.