Applying for a residence permit for PhD, what should I answer to "how long do you intend to stay in Finland?"

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tervetuloamiksi

Applying for a residence permit for PhD, what should I answer to "how long do you intend to stay in Finland?"

Post by tervetuloamiksi » Thu May 04, 2023 6:14 am

Ideally I would like to keep doing my research in finland even after my PhD through post doc and stuff but yeah what should I write as the answer for the question?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Applying for a residence permit for PhD, what should I answer to "how long do you intend to stay in Finland?"

Post by betelgeuse » Thu May 04, 2023 10:20 am

tervetuloamiksi wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:14 am
Ideally I would like to keep doing my research in finland even after my PhD through post doc and stuff but yeah what should I write as the answer for the question?
”Permanently”

tervetuloamiksi

Re: Applying for a residence permit for PhD, what should I answer to "how long do you intend to stay in Finland?"

Post by tervetuloamiksi » Thu May 04, 2023 11:19 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:20 am
tervetuloamiksi wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:14 am
”Permanently”
Oh really? Even if my contract of the PhD is for a finite time?

inkku

Post by inkku » Thu May 04, 2023 12:31 pm

This might be a question of taste. I would reply until the end of PhD studies, until getting the degree. Because that indicates that you are coming to Finland to get a PhD degree not just to linger around and pretend to study. And after getting the PhD degree, you would possibly like to stay in Finland or not.

tervetuloamiksi

Post by tervetuloamiksi » Thu May 04, 2023 1:12 pm

inkku wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:31 pm
This might be a question of taste. I would reply until the end of PhD studies, until getting the degree. Because that indicates that you are coming to Finland to get a PhD degree not just to linger around and pretend to study. And after getting the PhD degree, you would possibly like to stay in Finland or not.
So can I say something like, "I would stay until the end of my PhD but if there are opportunities for more research like post-doc or assistant professor, I would love to pursue those in finland"

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri May 05, 2023 3:29 pm

You can say something like "For the extent of my PhD studies" and provide information about the average length of PhD studies in your subject in Finland. I don't know if this applies for Finnish visas but e.g. in the US, when you apply for a student visa (which is typically a non-immigrant visa), stating that you intend to stay afterwards will lead to a denial of the visa since it would explicitly state intent to immigrate.
ImageImage

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 05, 2023 11:15 pm

browndude wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:29 pm
I don't know if this applies for Finnish visas but e.g. in the US, when you apply for a student visa (which is typically a non-immigrant visa), stating that you intend to stay afterwards will lead to a denial of the visa since it would explicitly state intent to immigrate.
Finnish student visa is type A, at the beginning of their 9th semester students are eligible for citizenship.

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Sat May 06, 2023 7:16 am

You need to answer always the truth with the best information you have at the moment.
If you know that you'll have the funds to stay for your PhD and postdoc and later try to get a job, I would answer "Indefinitely"

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 07, 2023 1:19 pm

browndude wrote:
You can say something like "For the extent of my PhD studies" and provide information about the average length of PhD studies in your subject in Finland. I don't know if this applies for Finnish visas but e.g. in the US, when you apply for a student visa (which is typically a non-immigrant visa), stating that you intend to stay afterwards will lead to a denial of the visa since it would explicitly state intent to immigrate.
There is no concept like this in Finland. You can always have the intent to immigrate. The answer does not really matter that much as long as the intention is to stay longer than the maximum time that a permit can be granted for based on the application context.

browndude

Post by browndude » Sun May 07, 2023 9:23 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:19 pm
browndude wrote:
There is no concept like this in Finland. You can always have the intent to immigrate. The answer does not really matter that much as long as the intention is to stay longer than the maximum time that a permit can be granted for based on the application context.
OK, I did not know that about the Finnish student visa. In my opinion that makes a lot more sense than the flustercuck that is the current US immigration system :lol: .
ImageImage

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Mon May 08, 2023 10:13 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:15 pm
browndude wrote:
I don't know if this applies for Finnish visas but e.g. in the US, when you apply for a student visa (which is typically a non-immigrant visa), stating that you intend to stay afterwards will lead to a denial of the visa since it would explicitly state intent to immigrate.
Finnish student visa is type A, at the beginning of their 9th semester students are eligible for citizenship.
Isn't the period of residence 5 years?

browndude

Post by browndude » Mon May 08, 2023 8:27 pm

jperickson wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:13 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
browndude wrote:
Yes, 5 years except for some cases when it can be only 4 years.
ImageImage

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 08, 2023 9:19 pm

browndude wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:27 pm
jperickson wrote:
FinlandGirl wrote:

It’s usually 4 years since the concept of strong ties has a very lenient interpretation.

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Tue May 09, 2023 11:38 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:19 pm
browndude wrote:
jperickson wrote:

It’s usually 4 years since the concept of strong ties has a very lenient interpretation.
Interestingly, I noticed recently that they removed the phrase "strong ties to Finland" from this page: https://migri.fi/en/period-of-residence. It used to be there in conjunction with the language requirement exception (proof: https://web.archive.org/web/20221204225 ... -residence)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 10, 2023 10:48 am

jperickson wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:38 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:19 pm
browndude wrote:

Interestingly, I noticed recently that they removed the phrase "strong ties to Finland" from this page: https://migri.fi/en/period-of-residence. It used to be there in conjunction with the language requirement exception (proof: https://web.archive.org/web/20221204225 ... -residence)
It’s what’s underlying the title ” You have the required language skills”. I have never been a fan of how all this stuff is presented.