Register a child for school before work starts?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
pnary

Post by pnary » Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 pm

I have just received a job offer that would start on September 1st. However, school in Helsinki starts in August. I'm from a country that does have 90-day visa-free stays in Finland; would it be possible to move there and enroll my kids in school in August?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Register a child for school before work starts?

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 26, 2023 11:06 pm

pnary wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 pm
I have just received a job offer that would start on September 1st. However, school in Helsinki starts in August. I'm from a country that does have 90-day visa-free stays in Finland; would it be possible to move there and enroll my kids in school in August?
You should contact the city whether this is possible.

Items you should think about before that:

How old are your children and for how long do you plan to stay in Finland?
A Finnish language school for proper integration, or an English language school for short-term schooling or close to graduation?

Do you already have an apartment so that it is clear where the school would be?
Working in Helsinki does not even imply living in Helsinki.

In many legal ways "moving" cannot happen before the starting date of the residence permit you requested when applying, like I doubt you can register your municipality of residence in the Finnish population database before the start of your residence permit.