Australian marriage to Finnish citizen

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jessy42

Post by Jessy42 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:30 pm

Hello,

I am an Australian. My partner has Australian and Finnish citizenship by descent. We have lived together for 10 years in Australia.

I am looking to apply for permanent residency in Finland as my partner now has a house here in Finland.

We are currently in Finland and I have not yet applied for a residency permit.

We are looking to marry asap. Just a couple of questions about marriage.

Do we both need to apply for a no impediment certificate from Australia to show that we are both not currently married? And does my partner also additionally need to apply for a certificate from the population data base in Finland to prove that he is also not married in Finland under his Finnish citizenship?

I've been looking at many sights and information sources however I am feeling a bit lost in terms of what steps to take next.

It is my understanding that we both need a no impediment certificate from Australia and that once we have that certificate we can apply for a notice of intended marriage and then a marriage certificate which I can then use to apply for permanent residency.

Help

Jes

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Australian marriage to Finnish citizen

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:54 pm

Jessy42 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:30 pm
I am an Australian. My partner has Australian and Finnish citizenship by descent.
Jessy42 wrote:
I am looking to apply for permanent residency in Finland as my partner now has a house here in Finland.
You can apply for a permanent residence permit after 4 years on a continuous residence permit.
Jessy42 wrote:
And does my partner also additionally need to apply for a certificate from the population data base in Finland to prove that he is also not married in Finland under his Finnish citizenship?
Examination of impediments to marriage is carried out by the same agency that maintains the population register.
Jessy42 wrote:
We are looking to marry asap. Just a couple of questions about marriage.

Do we both need to apply for a no impediment certificate from Australia to show that we are both not currently married?
Jessy42 wrote:
I've been looking at many sights and information sources however I am feeling a bit lost in terms of what steps to take next.
https://dvv.fi/en/examination-of-impedi ... o-marriage
Jessy42 wrote:
We have lived together for 10 years in Australia.
At least 2 years of cohabitation is considered a spouse equal to marriage for residence permit purposes.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:48 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:54 pm
Jessy42 wrote:
We have lived together for 10 years in Australia.
At least 2 years of cohabitation is considered a spouse equal to marriage for residence permit purposes.
In other words, no need to get married for the residence permit application, you can apply now already for a residence permit and apply for a permanent one in 4 years. The earlier you apply and get it, the earlier you can apply for the permanent one.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

37yqp8098y5

Post by 37yqp8098y5 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:52 pm

Jessy42 wrote:
Help
Others gave you great advice but one thing I can say is that it really is the responsibility of your partner as a citizen of Finland to know these systems and guide you through them in a confident and clear manner. You have a Finnish partner, in which case they should be the first line of contact here.

Furthermore, as others said. Permanent residency is something you can apply for if the reason for your original "A" continuous permit are still valid. Including processing times the absolute earliest you could get a permanent permit is about ~4.5 years after the date you are granted your first "A" permit. Assuming that the law doesn't change (which it actively is) and you apply the moment you are able.

For the marriage, you'll need papers from the Births Deaths and Marriages register. You also need to have these apostilled in Australia. It's also recommended you get all of your Australian documents apostilled too like your Birth certificate.
The average Somali and Iraqi costs Finland €12,000 per person, per year.
https://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/handle/10024/160396

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:40 pm

37yqp8098y5 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:52 pm
Jessy42 wrote:
Help
Others gave you great advice but one thing I can say is that it really is the responsibility of your partner as a citizen of Finland to know these systems and guide you through them in a confident and clear manner. You have a Finnish partner, in which case they should be the first line of contact here.
This is not good advice, since this is not an area where an average Finn has any knowledge.
37yqp8098y5 wrote:
For the marriage, you'll need papers from the Births Deaths and Marriages register. You also need to have these apostilled in Australia.
A Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage can be applied for at the Australian embassy.

browndude

Post by browndude » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:58 pm

37yqp8098y5 wrote:
Jessy42 wrote:
Help

Furthermore, as others said. Permanent residency is something you can apply for if the reason for your original "A" continuous permit are still valid. Including processing times the absolute earliest you could get a permanent permit is about ~4.5 years after the date you are granted your first "A" permit. Assuming that the law doesn't change (which it actively is) and you apply the moment you are able.

For the marriage, you'll need papers from the Births Deaths and Marriages register. You also need to have these apostilled in Australia. It's also recommended you get all of your Australian documents apostilled too like your Birth certificate.
The Finnish partner has Finnish citizenship by descent and may have never really lived here. They might not have any idea at all about such things.
ImageImage

37yqp8098y5

Post by 37yqp8098y5 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:24 pm

browndude wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:58 pm
The Finnish partner has Finnish citizenship by descent and may have never really lived here. They might not have any idea at all about such things.
This is not an excuse. It's their job to help guide their partner.
The average Somali and Iraqi costs Finland €12,000 per person, per year.
https://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/handle/10024/160396

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:56 pm

37yqp8098y5 wrote:
Furthermore, as others said. Permanent residency is something you can apply for if the reason for your original "A" continuous permit are still valid.
Incorrect. The criteria is being eligible for any A permit. It doesn't have to the original reason.
37yqp8098y5 wrote:
Including processing times the absolute earliest you could get a permanent permit is about ~4.5 years after the date you are granted your first "A" permit.
Migri is adding automation all the time. It's hard to say what the processing times will be years in the future.

aaniylhaalta

Post by aaniylhaalta » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:59 am

Jessy42 wrote:
I am looking to apply for permanent residency in Finland
You are looking to apply for temporary residency in Finland. This is how it works in europe generally. You become temporary resident first and spend a few years in your host country and then become a permanent resident later (unlike Australia where one might have permanent status even before arriving in the country).

timjulius1122

Post by timjulius1122 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:50 am

Hello! hope you are well, If you want to get married in Finland, both of you may need to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment. You would need it from Australia, and your partner may require a certificate from the Finnish population database. Once you have the certificates, apply for a Notice of Intended Marriage, wait for the required period, have the ceremony, and obtain a Marriage Certificate. Check the official website of the Finnish Immigration Service for residency application details based on marriage.