Your biggest struggles after moving to Finland?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
browndude

Re: Your biggest struggles after moving to Finland?

Post by browndude » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:26 pm

I have driven in Norway and Sweden and yes the roads in Norway were fabulous. Swedish roads sucked and driving discipline was poor compared to Finland. I have never had any problems with road signs in Finland. Of course, if you have already have reading difficulties (dyslexia or some such) perhaps your experience may be vastly different to most.

ImageImage

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Y77

Post by Y77 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:23 pm

browndude wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:26 pm
I have driven in Norway and Sweden and yes the roads in Norway were fabulous. Swedish roads sucked and driving discipline was poor compared to Finland. I have never had any problems with road signs in Finland. Of course, if you have already have reading difficulties (dyslexia or some such) perhaps your experience may be vastly different to most.
One day, while crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing in your town you might be run over by someone that was leisurely texting while driving, a very common sight in finland. Then you'll see the true reality and the sad state of affairs that is the driving culture in this country. Then you'll have plenty of time taking the mickey out of people while sitting in your wheelchair.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm

Y77 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:23 pm
browndude wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:26 pm
One day, while crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing in your town you might be run over by someone that was leisurely texting while driving, a very common sight in finland. Then you'll see the true reality and the sad state of affairs that is the driving culture in this country. Then you'll have plenty of time taking the mickey out of people while sitting in your wheelchair.
Man, texting while driving happens all over the world-unfortunately. Pointless arguing with strangers on the internet. If that is your biggest struggle in Finland then it is what it is. Good luck with all that then.
ImageImage

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:17 pm

browndude wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm
texting while driving happens all over the world-unfortunately.
No, it does not. Spend a week in the UK and you might see one person using the phone while driving. This is due to high surveilance (some automated) and high penalties.
Watch 10 cars go through traffic lights in Finland and you will see about three drivers using the phone, some with "finnish hands free kit" which involves using the speaker phone and holding the phone horizontally about 30cm from your mouth. That's all right then, not holding to your ear = "hands free"

In the UK:
Artificial Intelligence police van detects drivers using mobile phones https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-66320176
Traffic cops use unmarked lorries ... peering down into vehicles to spot motorists on mobiles, speeding or not wearing their seatbelts https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... biles.html
PLAIN clothes police officer cycle patrols are being introduced to make drivers more aware of passing cyclists on the road. https://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/2 ... s-malvern/

In Finland:
None of the above and death rates on the roads are double Sweden or Norway.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:11 pm

riku2 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:17 pm
browndude wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm
texting while driving happens all over the world-unfortunately.
No, it does not. Spend a week in the UK and you might see one person using the phone while driving. This is due to high surveilance (some automated) and high penalties.
Watch 10 cars go through traffic lights in Finland and you will see about three drivers using the phone, some with "finnish hands free kit" which involves using the speaker phone and holding the phone horizontally about 30cm from your mouth. That's all right then, not holding to your ear = "hands free"

In the UK:
Artificial Intelligence police van detects drivers using mobile phones https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-66320176
Traffic cops use unmarked lorries ... peering down into vehicles to spot motorists on mobiles, speeding or not wearing their seatbelts https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... biles.html
PLAIN clothes police officer cycle patrols are being introduced to make drivers more aware of passing cyclists on the road. https://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/2 ... s-malvern/

In Finland:
None of the above and death rates on the roads are double Sweden or Norway.
What are you on about :lol: ? If it does not happen why the heck would they bother to have surveillance? I have driven in the UK also and I saw it with my own eyes happen many times!! And in any case, do they have surveillance in every single nook and cranny of the UK? What you probably meant to say was that it supposedly happens less frequently than in Finland. Regarding the death rates, I would be interested in seeing what percentage of road accidents/deaths in Finland are caused by young (under 25 or so say) men who got their drivers licence only a short time prior to said accident. I get the feeling that they are over-represented.
ImageImage

Yahara

Post by Yahara » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:35 am

riku2 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:17 pm

Yes I can agree.
In Germany no one drives with phone at hand because of cameras etc.
But here in Finland WTF? I see soooooo many people on their phone, what is that !"#¤%? :D

clark.hogg

Post by clark.hogg » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:47 pm

For me, coming from a southern area like California, what is getting the most challenging is the winter. But not for the cold weather or even the cloudy sky, but for the short days... after 2 years I am starting to get used to it, but still...

Stephan1992

Post by Stephan1992 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:40 pm

Since a little while I am daily on the road by profession, and I concur that a lot of Finns (well at least Finnish license plate) are calling while driving, you can already see this when you drive behind them (even when the glass is tinted) because of the way they make sudden movements with their car, the way on how they have their place on the road... they are all over the place all the time...

But often I am mistaken too and they are not calling but just very bad drivers (old senile grannies or grandpa's,) or F***ing drunk...

So yeah traffic is a nuisance in Finland.

Shidi181

Post by Shidi181 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:40 pm

My biggest struggle was and still is my autisic son settling in we are here now for 3 months he is in a daycare now and is liking the routine he has now and then for me it is the social isolation. I am 98% of the time in the house and other 2% is dropping my kid at school and going to a grocery store now and then. It is very lonely here as it is difficult to make a friend.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Shidi181 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:40 pm
for me it is the social isolation. I am 98% of the time in the house and other 2% is dropping my kid at school and going to a grocery store now and then. It is very lonely here as it is difficult to make a friend.
Are you living in a tiny place in the middle of nowhere or are you living in Helsinki and just haven't yet found where to meet people?

Did you register as unemployed?
This should give you an integration plan with a language course.

Y77

Post by Y77 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:37 am

Also the fact that eggs are sold in pack of 10 instead of 12 is pretty disturbing. In finland you'll never say" a dozen eggs", like everywhere in the world.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:38 pm

Y77 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:37 am
Also the fact that eggs are sold in pack of 10 instead of 12 is pretty disturbing. In finland you'll never say" a dozen eggs", like everywhere in the world.
For sure, anything resembling the metric system boggles the mind.

Y77

Post by Y77 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:29 pm

it doesn't have anything to do with the metric system, it's just that tradirionally eggs have always been told in half a dozen or a dozen. It is one of those non written rules, like the one that says you shouldn't fart in a lift...but probably you don't follow these rules since most of your posts on this forum are written farts

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm

Y77 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:29 pm
it doesn't have anything to do with the metric system, it's just that tradirionally eggs have always been told in half a dozen or a dozen. It is one of those non written rules, like the one that says you shouldn't fart in a lift...but probably you don't follow these rules since most of your posts on this forum are written farts
Take a moment, as long as it might take, to contemplate your "biggest struggle" (as is the thread topic) of 10 eggs in a carton instead of 12.

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:23 pm

clark.hogg wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:47 pm
For me, coming from a southern area like California, what is getting the most challenging is the winter. But not for the cold weather or even the cloudy sky, but for the short days... after 2 years I am starting to get used to it, but still...
It might help if you can start working very early and finish hours before the sun sets. Working after sunset always makes me sad.

In winter I put on those high-powered corn bulbs that are twice as bright as local bulbs. I had 4 in living room alone plus bright light strips on window. It helps a lot to make home look as bright as day.