Importing classic (25v+) car from UK to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
TeddytheSpoon

Post by TeddytheSpoon » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:16 pm

Hello FinlandForum-users,

I believe this is a topic that's been covered here a few times before, but I am looking for some up-to-date information on importing a classic car to Finland from the UK. Mainly this surrounds the import and registration process.

I have owned the car since the good old days pre-Brexit, and I have heard that this may qualify it for an exemption from import duty. Equally, though, I haven't found any concrete information from Tulli or other official sources. I've been in Finland for two years, so I think I'm past the point of being able to use the removals vehicle exemption (a combination of Covid, lack of money and necessary repairs meant I haven't been able to look into taking it over until now). I'm hoping someone here would be able to say either way what the rules are.

When it comes to registering the vehicle in Finland, I'm aware it generally has to be done within a certain amount of time after it's been imported. But the car is currently off the road (SORN) in the UK, and it's likely it would come here on the back of a trailer, so wouldn't be driven until it was ready to be registered anyway. Does this time limit still apply if a vehicle is considered off the road?

And finally, on a related note, the car will of course need some LHD headlights fitted. I had intended to convert the car's exterior lighting to LEDs, which is possible in the UK, but I believe that won't be possible in Finland since it wouldn't be a sealed unit. Therefore I've been looking at full (halogen) units, but on the ones that I've found it isn't clear whether they have the all-important E-marking.

I imagine I just haven't been looking hard enough, but in the eventuality that I can't find any units to fit with the E-mark, what happens? Will they simply refuse the registration certificate, or can they do some sort of one-off beam pattern check?

Hoping that I can find some help on here!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Importing classic (25v+) car from UK to Finland

Post by Piet » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:44 am

TeddytheSpoon wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:16 pm
Hello FinlandForum-users,

I have owned the car since the good old days pre-Brexit, and I have heard that this may qualify it for an exemption from import duty.
This is no longer the case, this used to be true for one motor vehicle when moving, as importing of removable goods.
The law about this changed some years ago and now everyone needs to pay import tax for their car when they take it with them..
The value on what the tax is based, used to be searchable on the tulli webpage in an excel-sheet, as a price guidance (no promises) but I have not found it any-more for a long time.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world