Visa and Residence permit in Finland

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
KAWA

Post by KAWA » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:28 pm

Please tell me about visas and residence permits.
I have applied for a residence permit to study in Finland, but there is no guarantee that the permit will be granted before my scheduled departure date. In the case of Finland, under the Geneva Convention, residence permit is not required if you enter the country for the purpose of sightseeing, business, or visiting acquaintances for a period of 90 days or less.
Is it possible to use this system to enter Finland and continue my stay in Finland with the residence permit after it’s granted? If so, what procedures are necessary? Will I have to leave the country and re-enter the country? Will it be troublesome if I ask my family to send residence permit card from Japan?
I asked this question here because I could not get any information from the embassy.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Visa and Residence permit in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:35 am

KAWA wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:28 pm
Please tell me about visas and residence permits.
I have applied for a residence permit to study in Finland, but there is no guarantee that the permit will be granted before my scheduled departure date. In the case of Finland, under the Geneva Convention, residence permit is not required if you enter the country for the purpose of sightseeing, business, or visiting acquaintances for a period of 90 days or less.
Is it possible to use this system to enter Finland and continue my stay in Finland with the residence permit after it’s granted? If so, what procedures are necessary? Will I have to leave the country and re-enter the country? Will it be troublesome if I ask my family to send residence permit card from Japan?
I asked this question here because I could not get any information from the embassy.
” When you submit your application to a Finnish embassy, you may visit Finland during the time your application is pending, but you must return to your home country when your visa or visa-free period expires.”

https://migri.fi/en/faq-residence-permits

If you can get the permit from the embassy to Finland without personally visiting, then it shouldn’t be needed travel back.