Boyfriend in Finland

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
omrsref

Boyfriend in Finland

Post by omrsref » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:31 pm

Hello. I came to Finland from Turkey to seek asylum two years ago, and I obtained a residence permit for four years a year ago. Currently, I am living in Helsinki and receiving social assistance. I have been in a relationship for five years, and I previously mentioned this to the immigration office. My girlfriend lives in Turkey and holds a Turkish green passport, which allows her to enter and exit Finland freely and stay in Finland for up to three months without a visa. My girlfriend and I are planning to get married in Finland soon, but I need your assistance regarding the residence permit.

If my girlfriend comes to Finland and we get married here, would we be able to apply for a permanent residence permit for her? Do we have such a right? During this period, my girlfriend will stay in Finland for more than three months; would this be an issue? Lastly, when my girlfriend obtains a residence permit here, would she be eligible for social benefits since I am currently not employed? I sincerely thank everyone in advance.

Boyfriend in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Boyfriend in Finland

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:14 am

omrsref wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:31 pm
I came to Finland from Turkey to seek asylum two years ago, and I obtained a residence permit for four years a year ago. Currently, I am living in Helsinki and receiving social assistance. I have been in a relationship for five years, and I previously mentioned this to the immigration office. My girlfriend lives in Turkey and holds a Turkish green passport, which allows her to enter and exit Finland freely and stay in Finland for up to three months without a visa. My girlfriend and I are planning to get married in Finland soon, but I need your assistance regarding the residence permit.

If my girlfriend comes to Finland and we get married here, would we be able to apply for a permanent residence permit for her? Do we have such a right? During this period, my girlfriend will stay in Finland for more than three months; would this be an issue? Lastly, when my girlfriend obtains a residence permit here, would she be eligible for social benefits since I am currently not employed?
A permanent residence permit can only be issued after at least 4 years on a continuous residence permit, your wife would get the same residence permit as you have.

After marriage your spouse can apply in Finland, and the three months are not a problem when waiting in Finland for a decision on a residence permit.

A residence permit for your spouse can only be granted if you are able to show that you two have sufficient financial resources in Finland from sources other than benefits paid by the society:
https://migri.fi/en/income-requirement- ... in-finland

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:52 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:14 am
A residence permit for your spouse can only be granted if you are able to show that you two have sufficient financial resources in Finland from sources other than benefits paid by the society:
Some benefits are ok to use in the calculation.

” Certain social benefits reduce the required means of support. These are called social security benefits compensating for expenses. ”

https://migri.fi/en/income-requirement- ... protection

omrsref

Post by omrsref » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:38 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:14 am
omrsref wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:31 pm
I came to Finland from Turkey to seek asylum two years ago, and I obtained a residence permit for four years a year ago. Currently, I am living in Helsinki and receiving social assistance. I have been in a relationship for five years, and I previously mentioned this to the immigration office. My girlfriend lives in Turkey and holds a Turkish green passport, which allows her to enter and exit Finland freely and stay in Finland for up to three months without a visa. My girlfriend and I are planning to get married in Finland soon, but I need your assistance regarding the residence permit.

If my girlfriend comes to Finland and we get married here, would we be able to apply for a permanent residence permit for her? Do we have such a right? During this period, my girlfriend will stay in Finland for more than three months; would this be an issue? Lastly, when my girlfriend obtains a residence permit here, would she be eligible for social benefits since I am currently not employed?
A permanent residence permit can only be issued after at least 4 years on a continuous residence permit, your wife would get the same residence permit as you have.

After marriage your spouse can apply in Finland, and the three months are not a problem when waiting in Finland for a decision on a residence permit.

Thank you for your response. A friend of mine, like me, sought asylum in Finland due to being dependent on social assistance, and they are currently living there. Based on a close relationship, they brought their spouse to Finland. However, they mentioned that their spouse needs to have 12,000 euros in a bank account for one year, and after that year, their spouse will also be eligible for social assistance and obtain a long-term residence permit. As a result, they mentioned that there's no need to work. Could a similar approach be possible for me as well?

Rankin

Post by Rankin » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:13 am

If I am not mistaken, foreigners who receive social benefits become ineligible for permanent residence.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:19 am

Rankin wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:13 am
If I am not mistaken, foreigners who receive social benefits become ineligible for permanent residence.
Not exactly. At every permit application the situation is looked at. Short term social benefit use is ok.

” Jatkolupaa myönnettäessä ulkomaalaisen toimeentulon on oltava turvattu kuten 2 momentissa on säädetty kuitenkin niin, että tilapäinen turvautuminen toimeentulotukeen tai muuhun vastaavaan toimeentuloa turvaavaan etuuteen ei ole luvan myöntämisen esteenä.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0301#L4P39