Housing benefits abolishment discourages working.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
FinlandGirl

Re: Housing benefits abolishment discourages working.

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:35 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 am
Stephan1992 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:58 am
I hope this info will help others as well..
For me the conclusion is that with the current proposed changes, I and especially my kids would be better off if I am NOT working, instead of having my current low wage job.

Reason: wages are too low and government plans are not calculated through for (unwanted) side effects.
That is quite often the case with basic income support but the government does not seem willing to listen.
The specific problem here is that people might still be eligible for social assistance despite owning an apartment, that is the problem that discourages working.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:59 pm

Stephan1992 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:36 am
Reason: wages are too low
You have to credit the Orpo government for starting to address the problem of low wages due to many foreigners working in jobs at salaries no Finn would work for.

The minimum monthly salary for an employed full-time office cleaner in Finland is 1889 Euro.

Currently Migri is handing out residence permits for salaries as low as 1331 Euro, and many foreigners are taking Posti jobs that barely pay this much and are granted a residence permit for that.

Our new government raising the minimum salary for a residence permit for an employed person to 1600 Euro is a good first step to address this problem, hopefully they will continue to raise it to an office cleaner salary in the future.

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:41 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:35 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 am
Stephan1992 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:58 am
I hope this info will help others as well..
For me the conclusion is that with the current proposed changes, I and especially my kids would be better off if I am NOT working, instead of having my current low wage job.

Reason: wages are too low and government plans are not calculated through for (unwanted) side effects.
That is quite often the case with basic income support but the government does not seem willing to listen.
The specific problem here is that people might still be eligible for social assistance despite owning an apartment, that is the problem that discourages working.
Are you serious??

Don't you get the story of the OP, that he is actually working? But still cannot get by.... because of a law change, while he bought the house when it was not problem to get by... even now with his low wage job..? And you think it is right that he does not deserve to live where he lives and invested in for several years, you think it is ok to rob him with a law change, from his home?

The housing benefits change is the problem here, not social benefits, but it seems you lack the intellectual capacity to comprehend the real issue here...
You are oblivious to causality effects.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:20 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:59 pm
You have to credit the Orpo government for starting to address the problem of low wages due to many foreigners working in jobs at salaries no Finn would work for.

The minimum monthly salary for an employed full-time office cleaner in Finland is 1889 Euro.

Currently Migri is handing out residence permits for salaries as low as 1331 Euro, and many foreigners are taking Posti jobs that barely pay this much and are granted a residence permit for that.

Our new government raising the minimum salary for a residence permit for an employed person to 1600 Euro is a good first step to address this problem, hopefully they will continue to raise it to an office cleaner salary in the future.
Again causality... you seem to really lack any logical insight.

The problem is not foreigners, the problem is "there is no minimum wage".... :

You cannot leave this up to the employers, they will not raise the salaries by themselves and the current paid salaries are too low to get by.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:31 am

Piet wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:20 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:59 pm

Again causality... you seem to really lack any logical insight.

The problem is not foreigners, the problem is "there is no minimum wage".... :
The minimum income for a residence permit is de facto a minimum wage for positions that require no skills and no Finnish.
Piet wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:20 pm
You cannot leave this up to the employers, they will not raise the salaries by themselves and the current paid salaries are too low to getby.
Why are companies like Posti able to find enough employees for their deliveries even when they lower their salaries?

They would have to raise the salaries if the job market was not flooded with people willing to do any job for 1331 Euro per month.

And then the next problem are all these Foodora/Wolt/... "entrepreneurs" who (at least in Helsinki) usually speak no Finnish - with a normal amount of work hours this does not pay enough.

Less visible than Foodora and Wolt are companies like Freska, who undercut the prices of companies paying cleaners the minimum salary by employing foreigners who usually don't speak Finnish as low-paid cleaning "entrepreneurs".

Raising the minimum salary required for a residence permit on the basis of work and requiring language skills for a permanent residence permit are reasonable steps to reduce the amount of people who are willing to for income that is far too low for living in Finland.

A general minimum wage would also help (though one should rather blame Sanna Marin that her left government didn't do this), but this would additionally require cancelling the residence permits of "entrepreneurs" who are not making at least 24000 Euro profit after YEL.