Applying for Citizenship 2024

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
riku2

Re: Applying for Citizenship 2024

Post by riku2 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:19 am

Anonym321 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:52 am
The latest Migri article on travel doesn’t mention notifying Migri when going abroad
Yes it does although indirectly unless you understand the reason why
We cannot make a citizenship decision for you if you are abroad.
That's not actually correct, the "cannot make" should be "do not want to make".
The reason for telling about future travels is so that they won't award you citizenship while you are abroad.

What will happen is that the moment they make you a citizen your residence permit is cancelled. This is because citizenship and residence permits are exclusive and citizens are not allowed to have residence permits.

The problem will be is that if they make you a citizen while you are travelling, you will return to Finland and try to get back in with a cancelled residence permit.

I think if you are outside of schengen when this happens and re-enter schengen in Finland then things will be a lot easier to sort out (finnish border control probably have access to the citizenship database). If this happens in another country (eg you are flying Hong Kong - Munich - Helsinki) then border control in another country will see your passport and cancelled residence permit and this will not be so easy to resolve.

I'm not really sure why this is a big deal if you can get in without a permit (eg USA, UK and especially EU citizens). They make no distinction.

But there also seems the possibility that you are in Finland, you have a trip planned and they award you citizenship today and cancel your residence permit. What do you do then? If you cannot get a finnish passport in time you are in the same position as somebody awarded citizenship who's abroad. So should you tell them well in advance based on the processing time of a finnish passport?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kunglao

Post by kunglao » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:14 am

Hello everyone, I've been reading these citizenship threads for several months, preparing for YKI and hoping to join the queue someday. Well, today is that day. Best of luck to us all. Cheers!

nazanin.o.karimi

Post by nazanin.o.karimi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:31 am

Hi,

For people who have been in the process, have you ever received a call from Migri? I heard some do but don’t know if it’s random or has a reason.
I applied more than 2 months ago and still in waiting stage.
Also, did you need to visit migri for proof of ID? It seems that recently it is not required.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:28 am

nazanin.o.karimi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:31 am
Also, did you need to visit migri for proof of ID? It seems that recently it is not required.
I applied for citizenship and had to visit despite having visited a few years ago to get my residence permit.
I was expecting to have my fingerprints taken but they just wanted to see my passport and YKI test certificate. I'm not sure why I had to visit because it was the same passport as when I got my residence permit and surely they have access to the YKI results rather than asking to see a piece of paper.

Br_fi

Post by Br_fi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:33 pm

nazanin.o.karimi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:31 am
Hi,

For people who have been in the process, have you ever received a call from Migri? I heard some do but don’t know if it’s random or has a reason.
I applied more than 2 months ago and still in waiting stage.
Until around 2 months ago, everybody had to visit Migri when applying for citizenship to show passport and Yki test. They changed that rule and now it's possible for many people to apply without the visit. When you do the application it tells you if you'll need to visit Migri or not.

I applied in June and had to visit Migri but I didn't need to show the original Yki certificate that I brought with me, the lady working there could see it online.

And no, I've never received a call from Migri. They probably call you if make a paper application and they need more information from you. If you apply online they just send you emails.

karhu86

Post by karhu86 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:10 pm

riku2 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:19 am
Anonym321 wrote:
The latest Migri article on travel doesn’t mention notifying Migri when going abroad
The reason for telling about future travels is so that they won't award you citizenship while you are abroad.

What will happen is that the moment they make you a citizen your residence permit is cancelled. This is because citizenship and residence permits are exclusive and citizens are not allowed to have residence permits.

The problem will be is that if they make you a citizen while you are travelling, you will return to Finland and try to get back in with a cancelled residence permit.

I think if you are outside of schengen when this happens and re-enter schengen in Finland then things will be a lot easier to sort out (finnish border control probably have access to the citizenship database). If this happens in another country (eg you are flying Hong Kong - Munich - Helsinki) then border control in another country will see your passport and cancelled residence permit and this will not be so easy to resolve.

I'm not really sure why this is a big deal if you can get in without a permit (eg USA, UK and especially EU citizens). They make no distinction.

But there also seems the possibility that you are in Finland, you have a trip planned and they award you citizenship today and cancel your residence permit. What do you do then? If you cannot get a finnish passport in time you are in the same position as somebody awarded citizenship who's abroad. So should you tell them well in advance based on the processing time of a finnish passport?
Well that is because Finland has a !"#¤% way of doing stuff. They can resolve this issue easily by making your residence permit expire automatically after 2 weeks or a month of getting your passport. If they had an accurate queue system or a specific waiting period, then it will be ok, because you will know when your processing time will come and when applying you can plan things. For example this is hell for me, I travel a lot because of my job, and now i have been staying in Finland since April, because if they start processing your application and you are not in Finland, it will go to another queue which is long period on stage 2, and god knows how long it will take to process.
Btw the sentence "we can't process your application while aboard" is illegal, because when you applied for the citizenship you already fulfilled the requirements of the citizenship, the processing waiting period is not counted in your application total residency required to apply. In other ways you have fulfilled the requirements and you are waiting for them to process the application. same !"#¤% that used to happen for me before that you can't leave Finland when you are renewing your permit, and it is expired. well that is not my fault, i applied as mentioned 3 months before, but migri people are too slow 🙄

Aasinkinttu

Post by Aasinkinttu » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:43 pm

Interesting situation
Applied/visited service point last month.

Went to stage 2 almost immediately after service point visit.

Recently received an email stating that my application is waiting for processing (indicating stage 1) due to backlog of processing citizenship applications, etc.

Enterfinland still displays stage 2... :roll:

Br_fi

Post by Br_fi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:56 pm

karhu86 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:10 pm
riku2 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:19 am
Anonym321 wrote:

Well that is because Finland has a !"#¤% way of doing stuff. They can resolve this issue easily by making your residence permit expire automatically after 2 weeks or a month of getting your passport. If they had an accurate queue system or a specific waiting period, then it will be ok, because you will know when your processing time will come and when applying you can plan things. For example this is hell for me, I travel a lot because of my job, and now i have been staying in Finland since April, because if they start processing your application and you are not in Finland, it will go to another queue which is long period on stage 2, and god knows how long it will take to process.
Btw the sentence "we can't process your application while aboard" is illegal, because when you applied for the citizenship you already fulfilled the requirements of the citizenship, the processing waiting period is not counted in your application total residency required to apply. In other ways you have fulfilled the requirements and you are waiting for them to process the application. same !"#¤% that used to happen for me before that you can't leave Finland when you are renewing your permit, and it is expired. well that is not my fault, i applied as mentioned 3 months before, but migri people are too slow 🙄
"Foreign nationals over 18 years of age living in Finland and minor children in their custody can apply for Finnish citizenship. Granting citizenship on application is, however, a matter of discretion. This means that the applicant does not have an unconditional right to receive citizenship even if the requirements in the law are fulfilled."

You're applying for the biggest privilege a country can give to a foreigner, its citizenship. And you're mad and expecting Migri to change its rules so you can travel more freely as a foreigner? LOL

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:14 pm

Br_fi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:56 pm
you're mad and expecting Migri to change its rules so you can travel more freely as a foreigner? LOL
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that DURING the time your application is being processed you can travel with the SAME freedom as before you submitted the application.
The way the transition from resident -> citizen is implemented this is not the case and you either submit all your upcoming trips abroad (and take a chance your application gets put in the slow lane) or take a chance of being overseas when your status changes to citizen.
For those who can enter just based on their passport (without the need of visa / residence permit) then it seems better to say nothing about upcoming trips.

Br_fi

Post by Br_fi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:36 pm

riku2 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:14 pm
Br_fi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:56 pm
you're mad and expecting Migri to change its rules so you can travel more freely as a foreigner? LOL
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that DURING the time your application is being processed you can travel with the SAME freedom as before you submitted the application.
The way the transition from resident -> citizen is implemented this is not the case and you either submit all your upcoming trips abroad (and take a chance your application gets put in the slow lane) or take a chance of being overseas when your status changes to citizen.
For those who can enter just based on their passport (without the need of visa / residence permit) then it seems better to say nothing about upcoming trips.
Nothing stops you from writing Migri before and after your trip to inform them about it. The idea that they'll put you in the end of the queue because of this is just one of the endless theories that go around this forum, nobody knows if it's true or not. There's always a big chance that Migri wouldn't even have touched your application during your trip anyway.

Anyway, Migri is not stopping you from traveling, as long as you inform them.

smo

Post by smo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:08 pm

Hi people!

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but for some reason the search in this website is not giving me the answers I am looking for. So here is my question:

I moved to Finland in 2013 and have a Finnish spouse. Basically I need 4 uninterrupted years of living to apply for the citizenship. However, do I have to justify all my travels and income since 2013 or since Jan 2020 will be enough?

Thanks in advance, Cheers!

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:08 am

smo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:08 pm
Hi people!

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but for some reason the search in this website is not giving me the answers I am looking for. So here is my question:

I moved to Finland in 2013 and have a Finnish spouse. Basically I need 4 uninterrupted years of living to apply for the citizenship. However, do I have to justify all my travels and income since 2013 or since Jan 2020 will be enough?

Thanks in advance, Cheers!
Right now you just need to show where you got money for living. If it was KELA or your spouse privided your money or your parents or your work. It does not mayter for migri. They just want to understand how you existed legally here. Only in the future they will require you to apply if you have a job.

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:38 am

Interesting, my queue number moved yesterday(from thursday to firiday) to 494x just by one position. Looks like nothing going on with citezenship applications right now.

just_passing_by

Post by just_passing_by » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:56 am

Here is info about processed applications last week from Kamu chatbot.
Processed applications are marked in red.

It looks like currently they are processing applications which have numbers (9100-9400)/310/2023 (Like 9100/310/2023, 9101/310/2023, 9102/310/2023 etc.)

This is just my assumption, but if your application diary number is lower than that then you were unlucky and you will have to wait for a little longer than ~6 months.

TUserFin

Post by TUserFin » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:29 pm

just_passing_by wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:56 am
Here is info about processed applications last week from Kamu chatbot.
Processed applications are marked in red.
Thanks, I actually get 73XX/310/2023. Do you think I will be processed soon? Do you know when people in the range 9100-9400 applied?