How long do I have to move to Finland after a decision?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jetboy74

Post by Jetboy74 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out my work situation before moving to Finland, should I be lucky enough to get a permit to stay with my wife (who is a Finnish citizen).

I don't want to give up my job until a decision is made but I will have to work another 2 months after handing in my notice at work.

Is there a time limit once you have been granted a permit for when you can arrive to live?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: How long do I have to move to Finland after a decision?

Post by heretostay » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:45 pm

No.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:42 pm

You can move to Finland during the validity of the permit.
ImageImage

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:53 am

browndude wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:42 pm
Jetboy74 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:03 pm
I'm trying to work out my work situation before moving to Finland, should I be lucky enough to get a permit to stay with my wife (who is a Finnish citizen).

I don't want to give up my job until a decision is made but I will have to work another 2 months after handing in my notice at work.

Is there a time limit once you have been granted a permit for when you can arrive to live?
Technically that's true, but the first permit is valid for 1 year and you might not get an extension (or only a short extension) if moving close to the end of the validity of the first permit.

2 months should be OK.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:05 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:53 am
browndude wrote:
Jetboy74 wrote:

Technically that's true, but the first permit is valid for 1 year and you might not get an extension (or only a short extension) if moving close to the end of the validity of the first permit.

2 months should be OK.
Given that it’s a family permit, why would the extension be refused? The latter part about a shorter extension is true.

browndude

Post by browndude » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:09 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
browndude wrote:
Jetboy74 wrote:

2 months should be OK.
Is there any law that states that one might not get an extension if one moves to Finland close to the end of the validity period? Is there a period of residency requirement for these types of extentions? I suppose if the move happens a couple of weeks prior to the move, there might be a suspicion that the person is using the residence permit as e.g. a proxy for a schengen visa.
ImageImage

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:20 pm

browndude wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:09 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
browndude wrote:

2 months should be OK.
Is there any law that states that one might not get an extension if one moves to Finland close to the end of the validity period? Is there a period of residency requirement for these types of extentions?
You are not getting 5 years immediately, after 1 year you are getting another 4 years.
The 1 year is kind of a probation period, after which it is checked whether you have actually been working or are still together with your spouse.
browndude wrote:
I suppose if the move happens a couple of weeks prior to the move, there might be a suspicion that the person is using the residence permit as e.g. a proxy for a schengen visa.
A residence permit is expensive, has a long waiting time and is hard to get compared to a Schengen visa.

There will definitely be a question why the move hasn't happened earlier.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:14 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:20 pm
browndude wrote:
I suppose if the move happens a couple of weeks prior to the move, there might be a suspicion that the person is using the residence permit as e.g. a proxy for a schengen visa.
A residence permit is expensive, has a long waiting time and is hard to get compared to a Schengen visa.

There will definitely be a question why the move hasn't happened earlier.
There might be questions but it’s possible to keep renewing without ever permanently moving. This would be, for example, the case for a couple living on each side of the Russian border and wanting the possibility to visit longer than the Schengen visitor rules allow.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:53 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:14 am
This would be, for example, the case for a couple living on each side of the Russian border and wanting the possibility to visit longer than the Schengen visitor rules allow.
Does that work in practice?

In addition to the Migri side, this also goes into durations where Vero might consider the person a resident for taxation purposes.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:25 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:53 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:14 am
This would be, for example, the case for a couple living on each side of the Russian border and wanting the possibility to visit longer than the Schengen visitor rules allow.
Does that work in practice?
It does.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:53 pm
In addition to the Migri side, this also goes into durations where Vero might consider the person a resident for taxation purposes.
Even if one visited long and continously enough to trigger tax residence, tax treaties have their own rules about which country one actually has to pay taxes to. If there are major tax implications for having to pay in Finland, one would arrange the setup to keep tax residence for tax treaty purposes abroad.