Step-down voltage transformers for appliances (and how about frequency...?)

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
apgoncalves

Post by apgoncalves » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:05 pm

Hi there.

I have recently moved to Finland. I have some electrical appliances that I brought with me and now face the problem of the voltage and frequency, which were different where I used to live.

I guess this has been asked in this forum, but I would appreciate it if someone could help me not destroying my appliances.

I have more than one equipment that I want to plug here. For starters, this hand blender that an input of 120V, 60Hz and 180W power. What kind of transformer do I need to buy? My understanding is that electricity in Finland is 230V, 50Hz; is this correct?

It seems relatively easy to find step-down transformers for the voltage. But the frequency is also different (60 vs 50Hz). Will I ruin my appliance if the transformer does not convert 50 to 60Hz? Is this even possible to convert? If so, when is it necessary? For all appliances?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Step-down voltage transformers for appliances (and how about frequency...?)

Post by riku2 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am

Generally I would not bother using step down transformers unless the appliance is expensive and/or not available in Europe. For something like a hand blender you're better off buying a new european one since a transformer to handle the wattage needed for the hand blender is more expensive than a new hand blender.

Most of the time the change in frequency is irrelevant unless the item has a motor and the speed is important. Eg a mains power electric clock with hands, tape recorder, recorder player etc.

The problem with step down transformers is that it must be able to handle the current requirement of the appliance. This means they are only sensible for small items and not coffee machines, toasters, hair dryers, clothes irons etc where you would need a massive (and expensive) transformer to handle the current from those items. The appliance will have a label showing the current (watts). As a guide a 300w step down transformer is 55e

browndude

Post by browndude » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:02 pm

riku2 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am
Generally I would not bother using step down transformers unless the appliance is expensive and/or not available in Europe. For something like a hand blender you're better off buying a new european one since a transformer to handle the wattage needed for the hand blender is more expensive than a new hand blender.

Most of the time the change in frequency is irrelevant unless the item has a motor and the speed is important. Eg a mains power electric clock with hands, tape recorder, recorder player etc.

The problem with step down transformers is that it must be able to handle the current requirement of the appliance. This means they are only sensible for small items and not coffee machines, toasters, hair dryers, clothes irons etc where you would need a massive (and expensive) transformer to handle the current from those items. The appliance will have a label showing the current (watts). As a guide a 300w step down transformer is 55e
Agree with everything stated here. It is probably better to buy appliances that work in Europe (and most of the rest of the world for that matter).
ImageImage

apgoncalves

Post by apgoncalves » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:22 pm

Hello and thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, I've been reading on how many people just replace their appliances with European-bought ones to avoid the hassle and potential problems with these transformers. However, we do have some expensive appliances that we really like (gifts, etc.), which are still to arrive (they're somewhere right now, being shipped to us)... and we are having a hard time wrapping our head around the idea to not being able to use them. Also, it would be difficult now to sell them here, unless they go to someone who's doing the inverse move to a place where those appliances would work just fine.

I checked the prices for some of those transformers, and the prices are indeed around what you said. Certainly more expensive than buying a new hand blender, for example. On the other hand, I would be able to plug other appliances to a single transformer (not at the same time, I know), not just the hand blender, so there is that good side of things. Hmmm... Any additional comments?

I don't have a "electric clock with hands, tape recorder, recorder player..." so would the frequency difference be a problem if I used these transformers to connect a hand blender or a mixer, which have motors?

Thank you.

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:49 pm

If you are still planning to use your expensive appliances with a transformer, my only further advice would be to buy a very good transformer. Make sure you pay attention to the power/current in addition to the voltage.
ImageImage

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:39 pm

I don't have a "electric clock with hands, tape recorder, recorder player..." so would the frequency difference be a problem if I used these transformers to connect a hand blender or a mixer, which have motors?
Something like a mixer or hand blender would just run at 5/6th the speed - if it's an AC motor but a DC motor would not be affected.

Generally things sold in the USA are often pitiful products intended only for the USA market. Things sold in the rest of the world = built on the understanding that the world is made up of more than one country.

For example: Samsung TV sold in the USA: only displays 60Hz video. samsung TV sold anywhere else: handles 50Hz or 60Hz video (even if sold in a 50Hz country)

To put the boot in a bit more: a visit to a kitchen in an American home is like going back in time 50 years. cookers: Have they even heard of Induction hobs yet? perhaps not since they don't even have separate oven/hobs yet, let alone induction. Washing machines: top loading like the one my mom had 60 years ago where the clothes never get lifted out of the water.. the list could go on and on... who came up with the idea of combining microwaves and extractor fans, so you mount a microwave with electronics inside DIRECTLY above the cooker with steam and hot grease coming right up at it (this is known as an "over-the-range" microwave which I have never seen in any European shop)