Father became a citizen after I was born

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
JoniAlter

Post by JoniAlter » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pm

Hei kaikki,
I hope ya'll doing Hyvä.
I was born in the 80's, and have lived in Finland in the early 90's for a couple of years with my whole family. We had a residency permit, and therefore I do have an old Finnish Social Security Number.

My parents got divorced and my mom took me and my sister out of Europe to a third country.

My father stayed in Finland to this day, and received his Finnish Citizenship by naturalization 20 years ago.

He is getting old and unhealthy.

I would like to move to Finland to spend the remaining time of both of our lives.

What is the right form of residency for me?

Is it residency based on family ties?
I'm not dependent on him, but he might become dependent on me.

Is there a different way/could I apply for a citizenship myself?

Ps. I'm not an EU citizen.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Father became a citizen after I was born

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:57 am

JoniAlter wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pm
I was born in the 80's, and have lived in Finland in the early 90's for a couple of years with my whole family. We had a residency permit, and therefore I do have an old Finnish Social Security Number.

My parents got divorced and my mom took me and my sister out of Europe to a third country.

My father stayed in Finland to this day, and received his Finnish Citizenship by naturalization 20 years ago.

I would like to move to Finland to spend the remaining time of both of our lives.

Nothing in your post sounds like a valid reason for a normal residence permit or even citizenship.

You could try a residence permit on other grounds (which has a year processing time), but I would not be too optimistic about a positive decision:
https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-on-other-grounds

How do you plan to support yourself financially in Finland?
The residence permit on other grounds requires sufficient means of support and does not grant the right to work.

JoniAlter

Post by JoniAlter » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:56 pm

I do have the ways to support myself while in Finland, that's currently not a problem.
Why do think that a "Residency Based on Family ties" would not work?
We led a close family life together before, and would like to continue doing so...

Kkevins202

Post by Kkevins202 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:18 pm

Lucky you

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:24 pm

JoniAlter wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:56 pm
Why do think that a "Residency Based on Family ties" would not work?
We led a close family life together before, and would like to continue doing so...
Parents and their adult children are usually not a family for residence permit purposes.

The more common case is that naturalized Finnish citizens want to bring their elderly parents to Finland, which is also not possible.

browndude

Post by browndude » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:52 pm

Could the OP apply under the category "Remigration" perhaps?

https://migri.fi/en/remigration

#2 You may apply for a residence permit on the grounds of remigration if you meet one of the following conditions:

You may get a residence permit if at least one of your parents or grandparents is or has been a Finnish citizen by birth.

It does not matter if your grandparent or parent has later lost his or her Finnish citizenship, for example by becoming a citizen of some other country.

You do not need to give a statement on your means of support, although other residence permit applicants usually need to do so.

Edit, I was wrong, it says the parent has to be a Finnish citizen by birth and I guess your father is a Finnish citizen by naturalization. So this will not apply in your case.
ImageImage

NansDrivel

Post by NansDrivel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:57 am
JoniAlter wrote:

Nothing in your post sounds like a valid reason for a normal residence permit or even citizenship.

You could try a residence permit on other grounds (which has a year processing time), but I would not be too optimistic about a positive decision:

The residence permit on other grounds requires sufficient means of support and does not grant the right to work.
Finlandgirl, how is it that you’re so well-versed in immigration? Do you, or have you, worked for Migri? Are you an immigration attorney?

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 am

NansDrivel wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
JoniAlter wrote:

Finlandgirl, how is it that you’re so well-versed in immigration? Do you, or have you, worked for Migri? Are you an immigration attorney?
Not just Finlangirl, most of us-especially the non-EU types with "dodgy" names and passports-who have lived here for any length of time have become well-versed in these immigration issues because we have been through the whole circus so many times with applying for visas, residence permits and citizenship and what not :lol:
ImageImage

NansDrivel

Post by NansDrivel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 am

browndude wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 am
NansDrivel wrote:
FinlandGirl wrote:

Not just Finlangirl, most of us-especially the non-EU types with "dodgy" names and passports-who have lived here for any length of time have become well-versed in these immigration issues because we have been through the whole circus so many times with applying for visas, residence permits and citizenship and what not :lol:
I get it - hey - I can tell you all about the remigration program! 😁

I’m just curious because Finlandgirl seems to give authoritative, unequivocal answers. Curious about her.

JoniAlter

Post by JoniAlter » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:04 pm

First of all, thank you all for your replies!
Much appreciated.

Second, She is right...
I've spoke to an immigration attorney who confirmed what she said.

So since I do have permission to work in Finland, my best route will be to find a job with a contract, and than apply for residency based on employment.

Hauska viikonloppuna kaikille 🙏

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:11 pm

NansDrivel wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 am
browndude wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 am
NansDrivel wrote:

I get it - hey - I can tell you all about the remigration program! 😁

I’m just curious because Finlandgirl seems to give authoritative, unequivocal answers. Curious about her.
Maybe Finlandgirl is a MIGRI spy op :lol: .
ImageImage