Swedish classes

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
NansDrivel

Swedish classes

Post by NansDrivel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:42 pm

I love studying Finnish and will continue to study it. But with the potential for language requirements for a permanent residence permit, I’m strongly considering learning Swedish just to pass that test.

Have any of you chosen to study Swedish? Where did you take classes?

Swedish classes

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jperickson

Re: Swedish classes

Post by jperickson » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:55 pm

You can find information here for example: https://integration.luckan.fi/integrati ... ount=15112

NansDrivel

Post by NansDrivel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:05 pm

jperickson wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:55 pm
You can find information here for example: https://integration.luckan.fi/integrati ... ount=15112
Thanks!

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:03 pm

NansDrivel wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:42 pm
I love studying Finnish and will continue to study it. But with the potential for language requirements for a permanent residence permit, I’m strongly considering learning Swedish just to pass that test.
I do not think this is a good idea.

Swedish is only slightly easier to learn than Finnish, and 6 years should be more than enough for learning Finnish to the lower intermediate level YKI 3.

When you are able to talk in Finnish about what you've done yesterday or what you plan to do tomorrow, that's already YKI 3 level.

Worth reading regarding the exam itself:
viewtopic.php?t=104244

Auringon_kukka

Post by Auringon_kukka » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:42 pm

NansDrivel wrote:

Excellent question! I have taken several online Swedish classes, and can recommend ilmonet.fi as a good place to look. If you prefer in-person classes, check at your local Arbis (työväenopisto).

English speakers who have a knowledge of another language in the same family as Swedish (e.g., German) tend to pick up Swedish fairly easily. Some say learning Swedish is an easier route to YKI success, but that depends on the individual. I would say do whatever feels right for you.

On the Finnish side, there are a lot of online resources to help prepare for YKI (once you have a decent enough knowledge of Finnish, i.e., past the A2 level). I can recommend a good YouTube channel: Suomenopettaja Terhi. I have taken a couple of courses with her (in-person and online). Her YKI prep videos cover the four test areas and are an accurate reflection of what you'll encounter on test day.

browndude

Post by browndude » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:28 pm

You can certainly try to learn Swedish as well but Finnish is obviously more useful in Finland. As FinlandGirl stated, 6 years is more than enough time to learn Finnish to the level required for PR puropses.
ImageImage

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:40 pm

NansDrivel wrote:

Are you a decent student? YKI mostly measures your ability to test well, rather than your fluency and ability to use it daily. A prep course - you can find them f.e. at helao.fi, will take you a long way to pass the test if you have any decent skills. I've seen people with trouble uttering sentences get through - and I don't think the requirements have changed since I took it some 5 years ago. I hope they do, it's kind of joke to get through if you are book smart, can prep well and are able to cram for a few weeks.

NansDrivel

Post by NansDrivel » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:10 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:03 pm
NansDrivel wrote:
I do not think this is a good idea.

Swedish is only slightly easier to learn than Finnish, and 6 years should be more than enough for learning Finnish to the lower intermediate level YKI 3.

When you are able to talk in Finnish about what you've done yesterday or what you plan to do tomorrow, that's already YKI 3 level.

Worth reading regarding the exam itself:
viewtopic.php?t=104244
Thanks for that link. I think you’ve seen before that I get nervous about these immigration reforms. I’m quite a bit older and language learning has proved to be more challenging than it was when I got my degree in French a thousand years ago!! 😁 But I have decided to stick with Finnish and just slog it out. I’m getting to the point where I can discuss what I did yesterday and what I’m doing tomorrow so I will keep going. Thanks again!