What about a Starbucks in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

Would a Starbucks do well in Finland?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 43

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:19 am

This board is 1000x better than any library can be. Wikipedia article about Finland is also nice but asking atleast a few finns on this board is something no book can offer.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:35 am

But how many "Finns" do you find on an expat board? ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

karen

Post by karen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:02 am

Hank W. wrote:But how many "Finns" do you find on an expat board? ;)
Two. One to hold the forum in the socket and one to turn the ladder. :lol:

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:26 am

not many but that is still better than the wikipedia article about Finland

coffee anyone

Re: Thanks for the feedback

Post by coffee anyone » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:58 am

If you "don't know so much about this country," may I suggest using a method we had to use while I was in high school: the public library and encyclopedias?
Well now, thank you for that insight. Could it be that I used that smiley perhaps because I thought you weren't very funny. Didn't you ever hear when you don't have something nice to say-don't say anything at all?
And for your and everyone's information, I am Mrs. Coffee-actually Michelle, but whatever works.
And this is just one of many resources I am using for my college paper.
Once again, I appreciate everyone's comments. If anyone ever needs help in the US, I'd be more than happy. :D
I'm really not a bad person-Americans are really not bad people. :lol:

karen

Post by karen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:15 am

coffee anyone wrote:Americans are really not bad people. :lol:
You don't get out much, do you? There is a reason we are told to maintain a low profile when traveling or living abroad. It's because we have an evil president and we are evil by association. :roll:

Majava

Post by Majava » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:07 am

therese wrote:1 Finnish coffee has a different roast.
2 Established Brands - Coffee
1. Oh, you are so right! SO many simply think Finnish coffee is brewed strong (often it also is...), but the distinct taste is because of a different roast. No to my liking, because this specific roast makes the coffee bitter already when you make it a little bit stronger.

2. True as well, but now this... My mother in law, who only wants kotimainen, even when she sees it's lower quality and much more expensive (like the tomatoes often), only accepts this Juhla Mocca brand. Last week I caught her sipping a regular coffee at Arnolds. :shock: Arnolds poors Douwe Egbert's coffee, which is Dutch (owned by Sara Lee -US) This coffee IS different than Finnish coffee and when I asked her how she liked it, she needed to admit that although different, it was good (but man, did she had trouble swallowing her pride for admitting this!) So here you see, just don't advertise that it's foreign and they will grow to like it :wink:
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

karen

Post by karen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:13 am

I've known several Finns who take coffee with them when they travel.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:37 am

coffee anyone wrote: And this is just one of many resources I am using for my college paper.
See now the confusion is here you have to know about different countries to even pass highschool. :lol:

BTW you're not the first one doing a paper on coffee& Finland
Hello everyone! I am working on a market research report about coffee preferences in Finland, and I am wondering if anyone could give some information regarding trends, preferences and prices! Please let me know, if possible, what is the average retail price for coffee in supermarkets, coffee shops, etc. I will highly appreciate to have some feedback on this, please help me out!

bb/viewtopic.php?t=7298&highlight=paulig
Cheers, Hank W.

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:31 pm

I like the Finnish coffe and Juhla Mocca. In the US people seem to like a darker roast than I like. Here it's easier to find what I like. Also, people in the US hated coffee brewed by me usually because I like it strong. In turn I didn't like most coffee made by someone else because it was SO weak.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

coffee anyone

Post by coffee anyone » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:54 am

See now the confusion is here you have to know about different countries to even pass highschool. :lol:
I'm not quite sure why you have such an ethnocentric mind frame. Unfortunately, we don't get to study coffee preferences in highschool-maybe you did? So I apologize for asking for help-perhaps I should be acting like every other business and not conducting my own market research.
BTW you're not the first one doing a paper on coffee& Finland
Wow-what a concept? Could that be because Finland consumes more coffee than any other country? And it really is a BIG WORLD out there!
I hope you find some happiness in life-I think the lack of sun has eaten at your smile. :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:34 am

coffee anyone wrote: I'm not quite sure why you have such an ethnocentric mind frame. Unfortunately, we don't get to study coffee preferences in highschool-maybe you did?
No, but to have to ask on a "college" level
coffee anyone wrote:do you have the same system of print, radio and tv advertising?
Do you have toothpaste there in Canada, eh?

Could that be because Finland consumes more coffee than any other country?
Not really, I was just pointing out they got a load of links to statistics & whatnot but as apparently if it is too much to follow up...
I hope you find some happiness in life-I think the lack of sun has eaten at your smile.
Lack of coffee, actually.
Cheers, Hank W.

maria_rn

Post by maria_rn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:10 am

superiorinferior wrote:
I don't think there are 17 of anything in Finland... :wink:

there are more than 17 gas stations :)

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:51 pm

coffee anyone wrote: Unfortunately, we don't get to study coffee preferences in highschool-maybe you did?
You know as well as the rest of us, you were talking about the fact that you didn't know "much" about Finland. Presumably there was geography where you went to high school(?)

Nukkepöksy

Re: What about a Starbucks in Finland?

Post by Nukkepöksy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:43 am

coffee anyone wrote:Where would be a good place to put a Starbucks in Finland?
I think a good place to put a starbucks and all the other stores in that chain would be in some inhabitable place in Lapland.

ROBERT'S COFFEE RULES!
ImageEevaImage