Intercultural cohabiting problems

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 am

Thank you for the post, Raam, it's relieving to find someone who understands my problem. I have already had several very straight conversations with him over the last two years.
Well I did not say that I understood your problem and I am not sure I understood what you mean by having several straight conversations.
Some things that matter to you most dont matter to others at all!!!
The reason I was not listing the details here is because I think that if he understands why I think it's important, he will change his behaviour altogether.
..Wow Soo many assumptions!!! have you told him :" Its important for me that he change his behaviour"? _
Now take a look at that statement and ask yourself again How his behaviour is affecting you?
But since you ask - here is the most irritating: he bites bread that doesn't have butter on it, and he keeps that bread in his hand until he eats it (as if someone would steal it from his plate). Instead of bringing food to his mouth with the fork/spoon he brings his mouth down to his plate and shoves in the food. We were at a ylioppilas gathering last Saturday and I wanted to sink into the earth... :oops:
Quite frankly, I dont see any problem with having bread in my hand till I eat it...sometimes I leave it in the plate to have it later and I would NOT want ANYONE else to touch that!!!! Have you asked why he does it ( consiously or unconsiously?) As for bringing "mouth to the food":
In Many cultures, they actually do what he does and its better than having to "spill" or "splash" food at other people when you are far away from it!!!
Have u tried eating chinese food with chopsticks? Indian food with your hands? - Those are table manners too!!!
There are other things but this is what one can notice immediately. Of course, there has also been some progress. So far, in two years he learned not to throw the plates and cutlery onto the table when he lays it (i really mean this!) and sometimes he even manages with the right configuration of plate, knife, fork and glass on the table although the direction at which the teeth of the knife point can vary.
Now, imagine "how many ever years" that you have been taught to keep the knife pointing at 33.5 degrees to the right of the plate and the fork at 182.5 degrees facing the knife...Gawd that sounds awful to me to practice such precision...I aint a Royal never ll be and never want to be to go through such precision at cutlery!!!! I mean, come on!!! have you every given a thought to how obsessive and compulsive you can get? have you been that perfect all the time with the knife and fork and spoons etc.....Cos If you for one moment think about it: Can it be so that He has been sticking with you in spite of you being soo compulsive and so "Perfect" in your behaviour!!! Nothing in Life is perfect and ll never be!! thats the beauty of it!!! and so ll a knife and fork..( mebbe they should design a knife with teeth on both sides and a fork with 3 prongs on both ends..loll so he ll be correct)!!!
But can you tell me please - do you think that "bad" table manners really affect negatively work relations? I was brought up in an environment where it did matter very much but he tells me this is not so in the big wide world.
I cannot tell you if table mannets really affect your relations negatively. But then Ask YOURSELF that question and you will find your answer!!!!
I know that table manners is NOT that important for ME!! I guess he thinks the same too!!! 2 billion people eat with chopstix and 3 more with their hands ( india africa etc). I wonder if you have grown up in a very immaculate houselhold that you really lose sight of the Real "poor" or "I cannot afford to have a knife or fork" world!!! Then again its perspectives perspectives and perspectives!!!
i ve reached a compromise with my SO so she doesnt get worked out by these small things too and I ve managed to learn to do somethings like setting the plates and the knife ( Dont care which way the knife points but if it is wrong then my SO corrects it, so no sweat).
If you let table manners affect your relationship, and think its a big deal, then you need to rethink that again. for example, Is table manners SOO important that you can give up your relationship for another one who is impeccable with table manners that you like but cheats on ya, or is unclean all the time...
Think about what is more important than something that is Bothering you!!! When things start to bother someone in a relationship, they not only need to tell the other person about it, but also inspect it from withtin if that is soo important to get bothered by it( I assuemed this with the last post, but I guess that I didnt say that before).
If this thing is soo cumbersome, then I guess that you ve not faced lotsa other things in your relationships yet!!!
Gosh, so close to Midsummer I feel I have fallen in love like Titania, with an ass.
Gosh!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zax

Post by zax » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:08 am

This has to be a wind up...

Personally I like to make sure I wind the kitchen roll around my hot grilled makkara in a clockwise direction, and always squeeze the sinappi tube from the bottom. I'm almost a native ;)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:14 am

raamv wrote:2 billion people eat with chopstix and 3 more with their hands ( india africa etc). I wonder if you have grown up in a very immaculate houselhold that you really lose sight of the Real "poor" or "I cannot afford to have a knife or fork" world!!!
If you are in India, eating with your hands is the standard norm; if you are in china eating with chopsticks is the standard norm, if you are in Finland, eating with table manners....

If you want to eat in Rome, lay on the couch like the Romans do...

I eat with a 'puukko' and hands at the cottage, spiking the herring from the jar and wiping my hands on my trews. It doesn't mean I have to act like an imbecile in "civilized company" with white table cloths. If I went to Africa and was sitting around a vat of rice and lamb bits, what would the locals think if I stuffed food in with my left hand? So if that would offend them, why may we not be offended if someone eats their peas with the knife?

If the invitation says "dark suit", you don't go in there with jeans and sneakers. Likewise you don't go in there eating like you just were released from prison.

However you are spot on, if that is the "biggest issue" in a relationship, I'd be worried too. However you must undestand in every Finnish woman there is a Hyacinth Bucket living inside - so I got my ears wolloped as a kid if I wasn't minding my table manners.
Last edited by Hank W. on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

aurajuusto

Post by aurajuusto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Hank W. wrote: If the invitation says "dark suit", you don't go in there with jeans and sneakers. Likewise you don't go in there eating like you just were released from prison.

However you are spot on, if that is the "biggest issue" in a relationship, I'd be worried too. However you must undestand in every Finnish woman there is a Hyacinth Bucket living inside.

I want to make something straight. This issue is not the most important thing in our relationship, on the contrary - apart from this, there is nothing that irritates me! And I am very happy with that guy otherwise.

To Raamv: a straight conversation means that I have pointed out things that I think have to be changed because I have the impression that they are not very acceptable to our host culture (neither of us is Finnish). I have also said that I personally try to assume the manners of the country I live in. When I was in the US, I was eating with a fork ONLY, and I was cutting all the steak before eating it. If my bf&I had been living in his homeland, which is Russia, I wouldn't have even thought to raise the issue of his eating.

I just wanted to know if I am a manners freak. Hank's posts suggest that it's rather the other way around and he's a representative of the aboriginal population I am concerned about. I also wanted to find out a way to solve this issue in a soft way but it seems there isn't.

What is a Hyacinth Bucket?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:36 pm

aurajuusto wrote: What is a Hyacinth Bucket?
Oh, missed some quality BBC have we?

"Keeping up Appearances"

I found my mother, my sister, my ex-wife all showing various traits, my bro-n-law is a "Hyacinth" as well, he doesn't allow 'crude language' like 'outhouse' - the bog ain't got running water so it ain't a WC... So just to piss them ladies off I usually act as crude as I can...

However my dad explained the logic of 'status' and 'society'. In Finland there is a so-called "classless society". Status is not as much dictated by money, but rather by education. As education was formerly for the rich (poorkids had to go to work), the academics also had the "better people" manners. Now country bumpkins come to the city got quickly taught "herrasväki" manners, if they wanted to adapt. We're talking of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century here. The society has changed, but you cannot drop certain perceptions just in a few generations. So, if a person is educated, a person is also expected to know the etiquette. Someone with money but no etiquette will be looked upon by the poor 'nobility' as some upstart, as only poor people with no education don't know the etiquette. Of course, being from a working class background knowing *both* etiquettes is essential, as then the "Hyacinth Bucket" = "a person who thinks they are better than their peers" comes and can cause a counterreaction.

So yes, it is a complex issue. maybe it don't matter "in the big world" but in small circles it does. ;)
Last edited by Hank W. on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:39 pm

aurajuusto wrote: If my bf&I had been living in his homeland, which is Russia, I wouldn't have even thought to raise the issue of his eating.
Highly unlikely, as we in Finland *learned* the "table manners" from Russia back in the day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Hank W. wrote:
paulrenn wrote:My god, some people are fussy! Have you measured his shoelaces to ensure they are of equal length?
"Hot Blonde Syndrome" usually terminates in "Death by Nagging" :lol:
Actually I think you are on to something there!
My HB has turned into a NB (nagging blonde) with a vengence.
Paul

aurajuusto

Post by aurajuusto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:13 pm

Hank W. wrote:
aurajuusto wrote: If my bf&I had been living in his homeland, which is Russia, I wouldn't have even thought to raise the issue of his eating.
Highly unlikely, as we in Finland *learned* the "table manners" from Russia back in the day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I was surprised, too. But then you guys learned the manners before the revolution. All the Anna Kareninas were killed at that time, remember?

aurajuusto

Post by aurajuusto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:16 pm

Hank W. wrote:
aurajuusto wrote: What is a Hyacinth Bucket?
Oh, missed some quality BBC have we?
I wish I had the time but with all those dinners... :lol: :lol:

enk

Post by enk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:21 pm

aurajuusto wrote:I have also said that I personally try to assume the manners of the country I live in. When I was in the US, I was eating with a fork ONLY, and I was cutting all the steak before eating it.
Umm, that's NOT normal table manners in the US. Normal table
manners in the US dictate that you should never cut off more of your
food than you are prepared to put in your mouth in one go, i.e.,
one piece. You then put your knife down, lift the piece of food to
your mouth with your fork (and then chew&swallow). When you
want more food, repeat.

And for that, I've never seen anyone eat the way your bf eats
in the Soviet Union or in Russia.

If you've reiterated your feelings to your bf a couple of times without
any changes forthcoming, then drop the issue; he's not going to learn
as it is more than likely the way he was brought up. If you can't watch
it without cringing, then breaking up would be a good solution. Same
thing goes for any traits that can be found to be so annoying as to
cause the witnessing party undue stress.

nm. been married to a shoveller for 13 years now. (At least it takes
him longer to eat than 5 minutes nowadays: progress.) :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:27 pm

aurajuusto wrote: But then you guys learned the manners before the revolution.
Oh, and after as well. Guess where all the French/German/Music/Dancing teachers in the "girl schools" originated from ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:32 pm

enk wrote: If you've reiterated your feelings to your bf a couple of times without
as it is more than likely the way he was brought up.
Oh bollox, l wasn't brought up to eat with chopsticks either, it just takes an *effort to learn*. Breaking up because of "can't watch bad table manners" - no wonder theres old spinsters wondering why they can't find a decent man. :twisted:

OK, incentives for the "effort to learn" is then the question. How to teach Rasputin to dine like Jusupov? ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

enk

Post by enk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Hank W. wrote:
enk wrote: If you've reiterated your feelings to your bf a couple of times without
as it is more than likely the way he was brought up.
Oh bollox, l wasn't brought up to eat with chopsticks either, it just takes an *effort to learn*. Breaking up because of "can't watch bad table manners" - no wonder theres old spinsters wondering why they can't find a decent man. :twisted:
Nononno, you have it all wrong. They can't find the decent men
because I took them all *mwaahhaha*.

Eh, but seriously, if the bf isn't willing to even try and it's that annoying,
that says a lot. The other option, which I neglected to say, is to leave
the cretin at home when going to fêtes requiring table manners.
Hank W. wrote: OK, incentives for the "effort to learn" is then the question. How to teach Rasputin to dine like Jusupov? ;)
Well, some childish steps could be taken: glue/suction cup the plate to the
table so he can't pick it up, print off/make placemats of pictures of
how to set the table, etc.

It's always harder when the other person doesn't care one iota about
what other people think as it's impossible to use guilt to influence him.

Aura: what all have you tried in the past?

-enk

aurajuusto

Post by aurajuusto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Hank W. wrote:Guess where all the French/German/Music/Dancing teachers in the "girl schools" originated from ;)
Hank, you are a precious source of wisdom! What are the "girl schools" you refer to?

Enk, back in my teenage years I spent several months in a religious poor middle class family in the Northern Midwest. The ususal exchange program. These people were staring at my simultaneous usage of the knife&fork!! Before long I was told this was regarded as supercilious in their society so I had to stop offending them. Sorry about the generalisation though, the US are a big country. And about Russia: you probably don't know that Russians would do even the impossible in order to impress a foreigner from a Western country. Then again, Russia is also a big country.

Okay.. now focus on the "effort to learn". My Fair Lady is the only suggestion so far. Any other ones?

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:45 pm

aurajuusto wrote:Okay.. now focus on the "effort to learn". My Fair Lady is the only suggestion so far. Any other ones?
Any of 'em old Tarzan movies should do. Oongowa! :wink: