Car insurance in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ralucii

Car insurance in Finland

Post by ralucii » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi everybody!

I was accepted to an University in Finland and I was thinking about bringing my car with me. The car has 2 years and has been used in the past 6 months so I guess it won't be a problem with paying taxes. Or is it? What I am interested in is to find out if I can insure my car, while it still has the Romanian license plates, and how much is the insurance in Finland for a Peugeot 206.
I am waiting for your advice.

Kiitos,
Raluca

Car insurance in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MTB

Post by MTB » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:26 pm

You need to pay your insurance ("Carte Verde") in Romania if you have romanian plates.
You have the right to drive the car here without registering (ie changing plates to finnish ones) it in Finland for one year, but i guess you must take the car back to your country every six months. Hpefully Romania will join EU in january 2007, after that it won't be a problem to drive it here with romanian plates as long as you wish, without any restrictions. It is ok to pay the insurance in Romania, i guess it is even cheaper than here. Try the same company you are using for CASCO insurance, because if you get "carte verde" from them, then they will extend your CASCO at no additional charges to be valid in EU.

This is an usefull link, credits for it to sininkala:
http://www.mintc.fi/oliver/upl939-Driv ... land.pdf

read also "bringing a car to Finland" topic

zam

Post by zam » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:37 am

MTB wrote:You have the right to drive the car here without registering (ie changing plates to finnish ones) it in Finland for one year, but i guess you must take the car back to your country every six months.
The time limit can be also extended on the basis of student status.

Temporary use of car in Finland:
http://www.tulli.fi/en/02_Publications/ ... 005_en.pdf