car seats

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
lovingfather

car seats

Post by lovingfather » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi, i'm visiting my child in finland and had a "coversation" with my ex-wife sbout the method she was using for the car seat and wanted some help/advice. My child is about 30-35lbs and 4 years old she had the child re-facing. her feat we all up in the air going over the seat. Looked if we got hit she would be crushed. I mentioned this too her and showed that the seat said after 10kg and one year face forward but she said finland rules say they must face that way....in usa I would get a big ticket for this...thanks in advance.

Also if anyone knows about this I asked if I could see my child room and she will not let me. I have joint custody as well and came from usa. Does this seem weird? after i asked many times to see the room she said no. I said seem suscpicous that you will not let me see the place and said that becasue of my behavior "saying it was weird-suspicous" that i can't see the room that i'm not allowed to see it now till a year? thanks.....

sorry if there is bad spelling "very tired and busy" kitos

car seats

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

karen

Post by karen » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:06 pm

She can definitely face forward at that size and age. My son is 4 and I can't imagine him still in a rear-facing position.

enk

Post by enk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:16 pm

According to this site, it says that the law only stipulated minimum requirements for using the seat in a car:
Lasta suositellaan kuljetettavaksi selkä ajosuuntaan -istuimilla ainakin 3-vuotiaaksi asti ja kauemminkin, jos lapsi mahtuu siten istumaan. Selkä ajosuuntaan istuimessa lapsen pää saa tukea selkänojasta. Tällöin keulakolarissa ei synny kaulaan liiallista rasitusta. Selkä ajosuuntaan kiinnitettävää turvaistuinta ei saa sijoittaa sellaiselle istuinpaikalle, jossa on toimintavalmis etuturvatyyny.
I.e., it is recommended that children ride rear-facing until they are 3 and longer, if they still fit that way as their head is supported by the back of the car seat, preventing too much stress from being placed on the neck if a head-on collision occurs. Rear-facing car seats cannot be placed in seats that have activated airbags in front.

That's also what we were told in both the hospital and the Postnatal
Centre after each of our kids.

-enk

lovingfather

Post by lovingfather » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:49 pm

thank you

Irbe

Re: car seats

Post by Irbe » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:04 am

longtrav wrote:Also if anyone knows about this I asked if I could see my child room and she will not let me. I have joint custody as well and came from usa. Does this seem weird? after i asked many times to see the room she said no. I said seem suscpicous that you will not let me see the place and said that becasue of my behavior "saying it was weird-suspicous" that i can't see the room that i'm not allowed to see it now till a year? thanks.....
Although you have joint custody, the ex-wife does not need to let you see your child's home. If you are worried that everything is not all right at home you can contact lastensuojelu (I don't know that in English and don't even try to translate) and they will check the home. This would be pretty strong move against your ex-wife and I would not recommend to do it just for fun or teasing.

mel

Post by mel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:50 am

a child can face the road from 15kg in Finland, according to the law!!! They have special seats with special safety belts for that. You simply can go to a lasten kauppa (children shop like lastentarvike, etc..) to check the info.

good luck with your ex-wife...

lovingfather

no joke

Post by lovingfather » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:43 am

no jokes here, who would't want to see how the child lives...

karen

Post by karen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:48 am

Can't argue with that.

lovingfather

thanks

Post by lovingfather » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:20 pm

Thanks so much for all your comments and help! As we all know our childrens safety is a top priority. I sent "enks" response to my ex-wife and she got upset with me and has limited my visits. Is there a custom here that I'm not aware of that would limit a divorcee parent to voice concerns about the safety of a child? I also offered to show her the proper way to install the seat. I wish that everyone could see that a visit from USA is about the child.

Irbe

Post by Irbe » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:48 pm

Believe me, I am not joking. I know pretty much what I am writing about.

More in pm.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:03 pm

In the USA though you have those "ding-dong-strangle-the-driver" automagical seatbelts (that freak me out)... so the "eurostandard" probably may be slightly different.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.