44 days to go....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
wanderer9

44 days to go....

Post by wanderer9 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:10 pm

In 2003 I did a round the world trip that included wonderful sweden and stunning norway, then i got home and realised......I forgot Finland! 3 years later, I have the chance to make up for this and hope to be in Finland for 5/6 days in mid-september. So my question to the forum is this....in your opinion, what are the 'unmissables' in a Finland trip that you would recommend to me?

We hope to be travelling by train and will be coming from Northern Norway, travelling to Rovaniemi and then heading south to Helsinki and possibly visiting Stockholm/Tallinn.

Also, does anyone know anything about bungee jumping in Finland?

Thanks in advance for replies.

44 days to go....

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ojanm

Re: 44 days to go....

Post by ojanm » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:16 am

wanderer9 wrote:Also, does anyone know anything about bungee jumping in Finland?
Surprisingly, it's quite expensive because of the safety regulations and such...

...but the Turkish version may be cheaper. :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 am

Paging Dr. Efx :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:13 pm

Most people say Turku is the prettiest town in Finland. So come here for one day at least.

There's the castle and cathedral to visit if you like old buildings. The handicrafts museum is also nice: it is a block of 200-year old wooden houses with a handicraft theme. These are the only remaining part of the old wooden city which mostly burnt in the 1820s. The buildings have various old handicrafts on dislpay and there are people in old costumes some making things. One woman was using a spinning wheel.

September, although cooler than the summer is often dry and sunny. So fingers crossed.
Image Image

priki

Post by priki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:14 pm

If you visit Helsinki when the weather is nice, take a boat to Suomenlinna and have a picnic. :) And remember to take a flashlight with you.
http://www.suomenlinna.fi/index.php?lang=eng

zam

Post by zam » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 am

Oulu is a 2.5 - 3 hour train ride south of Rovaniemi, well worth a visit as you'll be passing by anyhow. Being the biggest town of Northern Finland, there's usually always plenty to do. It's a pity, though, that you seem to miss the Air Guitar World Championships (arranged in conjunction with the Oulu Music Video Festivals).
In Rovaniemi there's the real Santa who you should meet of course :wink: .