Turkish Delight

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Shazzer

Turkish Delight

Post by Shazzer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Can someone recommend a good Turkish delight and where I can get it? I'm not very familiar with this sweet meat but loved the ones that were introduced to me once years ago. (Homemade and heavenly!) :kiss:

Recently my MIL bought me a box (Sebahat) which she picked up from one of the Oriental stores at Rautatieasema. Rather good but I remember the ones I had before were chock full of pistachios and other delicious bits. While the Sebahat sweets (made in Belgium I checked) are rather good, they are dusted with grated coconut and have only one pistachio nut in the centre.

Thank you and waiting to satisfy the sweet tooth!

Turkish Delight

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sammy

Re: Turkish Delight

Post by sammy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:57 pm

Shazzer wrote:Can someone recommend a good Turkish delight and where I can get it? I'm not very familiar with this sweet meat but loved the ones that were introduced to me once years ago. (Homemade and heavenly!) :kiss:

Recently my MIL bought me a box (Sebahat) which she picked up from one of the Oriental stores at Rautatieasema. Rather good but I remember the ones I had before were chock full of pistachios and other delicious bits. While the Sebahat sweets (made in Belgium I checked) are rather good, they are dusted with grated coconut and have only one pistachio nut in the centre.

Thank you and waiting to satisfy the sweet tooth!
You should check the Oriental stores - they have different varieties of this Turkish Delight (Loukoum) available. Not all of them are coconut-covered! Just quite recently I bought a box of delicious powdered sugar -coated rosewater-scented loukoums in Helsinki - can't remember the name of the shop nor the brand... but they are available. I also think I've seen the pistachio Loukoum thingies in those very same shops.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:21 pm

I prefer it the way Sami described, rose flavoured is best, no nuts or coconut for me... and if at all possible Fry's :D

Usually we have to bring them back when we visit the UK, but from time to time the Asian shop in Rautatieasemantori (near Anttila) stocks these...

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:10 pm

Fry's is just chocolate coated jelly. An insult to the real McCoy.

Double pistachio is best. My secret supply came from Turkey (SO's last business trip) but I'll keep my eyes open in Hki.

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:41 pm

Thank you all! Rosewater scented loukoms sounds mouthwatering! Will be on the prowl in search for them. Are there many types of Turkish delight (just as there are many types of chocolates)? I'm totally clueless here because the only "authentic" one I had was made by someone in South Africa! It didn't have grated coconut on it though.

Has anyone tried the sweetmeats from India/Sri Lanka? Very gooey, sticky, sweet and made with ghee. I got a box of these delicacies a few months back and that made me realised that I have awakened the sweet tooth monster in me! :P

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Shazzer wrote:Thank you all! Rosewater scented loukoms sounds mouthwatering! Will be on the prowl in search for them. Are there many types of Turkish delight (just as there are many types of chocolates)? I'm totally clueless here because the only "authentic" one I had was made by someone in South Africa! It didn't have grated coconut on it though.

Has anyone tried the sweetmeats from India/Sri Lanka? Very gooey, sticky, sweet and made with ghee. I got a box of these delicacies a few months back and that made me realised that I have awakened the sweet tooth monster in me! :P
Yes, there are several types. I also once bought the kind of Loukoum that was covered in grated coconut - whilst I do like the occasional nibble at coconut I did not think that particular combination was very pleasant.

Mind you, the Greek (or is it Turkish?) Halva also is quite nice, and comes in all sorts of varieties - including pistachio.

The only Indian "sweets" I've tasted (never actually having been to that part of the world) would be the Gulab Jamon (?), a very sweet and syrupy dessert delicacy. Some Indian-style restaurants have them on the menu.

enk

Post by enk » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:52 pm

Aahh, gulab jamun :)

I miss those. I had some rasgulla the other day, thinking that they would
rid me of the taste for gulab jamun, but they didn't. And I didn't
particularly care for the rasgulla either :shock:

Or were you referring to these? 8)

Njam :)

-enk

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:24 pm

sammy wrote:The only Indian "sweets" I've tasted (never actually having been to that part of the world) would be the Gulab Jamon (?), a very sweet and syrupy dessert delicacy. Some Indian-style restaurants have them on the menu.
There used to be a couple of Indian sweet shops on the Curry Mile in Rusholme (Manchester), looked very syrupy to me, I also remember some bizzare looking ones made with gold leaf.

I never used to have any room after the curry though. Burp.* :D

* copyright Hank W.

karen

Post by karen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:42 pm

enk wrote:Aahh, gulab jamun :)

I miss those. I had some rasgulla the other day, thinking that they would
rid me of the taste for gulab jamun, but they didn't. And I didn't
particularly care for the rasgulla either :shock:

Or were you referring to these? 8)

Njam :)

-enk
Yummy stuff!

I'm off to tutor my little Indian girl. I think I'll ask her dad for the gulab jamun recipe.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:48 pm

sinikala wrote:I never used to have any room after the curry though. Burp.* :D

* copyright Hank W.
Well that is usually a problem :lol:

Mind you, why do not we have a burping smiley?

Hövsgöl

Post by Hövsgöl » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Lokum is lovely, but I prefer Pişmaniye (see photo). Just like the candyfloss you get at the circus but 10 times thicker. I am drooling on my keyboard now, I must fetch a cloth.

I recommend it!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:30 pm

sinikala wrote:I never used to have any room after the curry though.
I thought it was due to dental care, if you burp after them turkish delights you need to collect your legos on the platter... :wink:

Somehow I just can't eat that kind of "sugar rush" stuff... if humanely possible *too sweet*... I always stare (yes, with that Finnish copyright *stare*) at people emptying a box of that sweet stuff... :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

enk

Post by enk » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Speak of the devil, lokum is on sale at the Orient Star in Sello :D

-enk

efx

Post by efx » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:37 pm

my favorite lokum is rose flovaured one, mmmmh :roll:
fighting with hatred feeds the rich men

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:25 pm

efx wrote:my favorite lokum is rose flovaured one, mmmmh :roll:
Mine, too.

You know the old legend of Dom Perignon, having accidentally invented champagne (when trying to concote a new Alchemist liquid that would turn base thing into gold), he is supposed to have said, after the first sip: I am drinking stars!

(Mind you the legend fails to tell what Dom Perignon mumbled after the following eighty-seven sips of the same)

Anyway... in the case of these favourite loukoums, we could also say "I am eating roses!"

On hindsight however this is rather something a horse might say so maybe it's best to be silent.