My daughther in päiväkoti

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
kea

Post by kea » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:52 pm

My daughther is 1 year old. She stay in päiväkoti in the day time. She had the wounds on her face many time. Today is biggest happening on her face and the finger and make me nervous. And I asked they said that a child hit her when play outside. Is it normally happening in päiväkoti in this age? Why the workers not be good take caring the children? Please share your ideas.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

polamook

Post by polamook » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:43 pm

If I had a kid and someone hurt him/her, I would beat the everloving s**t out of that someone - no matter what my size advantage would be. And then I would give that someone a good talking to on the subject of peaceful co-existence in this world. But this is possibly not the kind of advice you need.

There are probably so many kids per worker in the daycare that all-encompassing supervision is pretty difficult. But certainly the workers should try to weed out the problem once it has been brought to their attention instead of shrugging it off as kids being kids.

enk

Post by enk » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Contact the director of the day care if talking to the employees doesn't help. There is no excusable reason for your child coming home covered
in wounds and bruises. If they have a particular child doing that they
should take action (and have to), especially as it will only get worse over
time. Ask them also who the child is so you can leave a note for the
child's parent(s) if it doesn't get better.

-enk

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:00 pm

polamook wrote:If I had a kid and someone hurt him/her, I would beat the everloving s**t out of that someone - no matter what my size advantage would be.
Mr. Mook, we are talking about a one year old child here. I didn't want to chime in on this, but seeing as now the conversation was opened, I guess I will.

To kea, if you think that your child's injuries are not just a one-time occurence and you feel that the staff isn't paying enough attention, then I would go talk with the person in charge of the daycare center.

If your Finnish is not great, I would advise you to bring a Finnish-speaking friend along to help with translation etc.

If after you speak with the manager of the daycare you find that your child still comes home with scratches, you should probably contact someone outside the daycare center itself (the regional manager or if it is a private center, a regulatory office).

This said, I would say that "scratches" on children of any age that are in a daycare would happen quite commonly -- but only isolated incidents, and usually with older kids.

allan

Post by allan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:40 pm

My girlfriend works in the kindergarden where my son is enrolled. I have seen a child there repeatedly hit other children and asked my girldfirend about it. She says they do punish the child a tell him/her off but thats about it. In fairness usually the teachers are there very quickly when something happens but ofcourse by then the damage is done. Normally you will have a parents evening about 3 times a year....bring it up then in no uncertain (take picture of the injuries, dates of occurance etc) terms furthermore you might write a letter. At least this might focus the teachers attention on your child.

polamook

Post by polamook » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:46 pm

Mr. Mook, we are talking about a one year old child here.
Yeah, did that strike you as absurd?

OK, I'll draw a diagram: There is no excuse for violence. The daycare people should make sure there won't be any in the future. Don't take "no" for an answer, kea.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:57 pm

I second the opinion that you take some pahasuinen ämmä with you that can raise hell in the Finnish manner. That is definitely not acceptable. If push comes to shove you change the päiväkoti...

And when she's 3 she can go to karate and at age 5 beat the crap out of polamook ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

polamook

Post by polamook » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 pm

Hank, please. This is a serious subject.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:06 pm

I agree on your point that the daycare people ought to have a watchful eye, but your everloving start of the post beat the s* out of being serious.
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

enk

Post by enk » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:18 pm

Hank W. wrote:I second the opinion that you take some pahasuinen ämmä with you that can raise hell in the Finnish manner.
You called? :D

-enk

polamook

Post by polamook » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:33 pm

your everloving start of the post beat the s* out of being serious.
I was merely trying to point out the origins of violent behaviour (i.e. example set by parents) by satiric means. Thought that was pretty obvious, but this is probably the wrong time and place. I apologize to anyone who might have taken offense and solemnly promise to stay out of the family thread henceforth.

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 pm

polamook wrote:
your everloving start of the post beat the s* out of being serious.
I was merely trying to point out the origins of violent behaviour (i.e. example set by parents) by satiric means.
BS.

polamook

Post by polamook » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:58 pm

OK, I promised to stay out, but I just couldn't resist peeking.
BS.
My sense of humour and decorum are definitely suspect, but I've never ever hit anybody in my life, nor would I advocate violence. So let's just be very clear about that and get back to the topic.

Desundial

Post by Desundial » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:30 am

Hey Kea - get someone who speaks finnish well to go with you immediately to talk to the director of the daycare. This is not acceptable, anwhere in the world. If they argue because they your child's scratches/bruises have healed, then 8as suggested above) start taking pictures and documenting things everyday she comes home from päiväkoti like this. And go back.

And if that doesn't work, as suggested above, go to a higher level / change päiväkoti's! Your child may not be the only one coming home like this!

kea

Thank you for every answer.

Post by kea » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:09 pm

Thank you for every answer that gave the good ideas to me.