Long Distance Relationships

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

How often do long distance relationships work?

Always
3%
75 Percent of the time
No votes
50 Percent of the time
9%
25 Percent of the time
13%
NEVER
8%
Depends on People
67%

Total votes: 76

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:45 pm

Äh - copy&paste works too :mrgreen:

Thats an area I don't know anything of - University of Pittsburgh? They have some.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:10 pm

no matter how beautiful she is ,someone , somewhere, is already fed up with her !

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:34 am

well... Finish up with that cliché thing: True love conquers all...

Arno...you romantic, you. Sap! :twisted:

True love can KMA for dragging me half way across the world to this dark and gloomy land :evil:

Woah...sorry, someone must have mentioned the war...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:45 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote:well... Finish up with that cliché thing: True love conquers all...

Arno...you romantic, you. Sap! :twisted:

True love can KMA for dragging me half way across the world to this dark and gloomy land :evil:

You need to learn to see the beauty in everything, Minna. Even in dark and gloomy la(n)ds... :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:51 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote: dark and gloomy land
Just start drinking copious amounts of alcohol, the flashes of light and the little men you see can humor you until spring.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

turbodank23

Post by turbodank23 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:45 am

Everyone seems to have a negative outlook on long distance relationships to finland you all seem that your girl/ boyfriend drug you there by your hair and forced you to stay in finland remeber that you our your own person and dont change for anyone I love my girlfriend very much but we both agreed we have priorities in our lives first us and school and then moving together wether it be the states or finalnd so can someone shed some light on this subject

P.S i love that i am legal to drink in finalnd america 21 rule sucks even if i dont abided by it hehehe "dont drink and drive smoke and fly"
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:48 am

Just start drinking copious amounts of alcohol, the flashes of light and the little men you see can humor you until spring.

I tried that, but all I do is get tired and fall asleep only to wake up with a wicked, hazy headache in the morning - it's like those little men are dancing on my brain, tormenting me... :roll:

What is it about this time of year that makes me into the laziest person alive?! I mean, I even take the 'shortcut' going from one room to another in my apartment...Geez...I even type lazily...ho hum....another 7 months of this :cry:

George Bernard Shaw

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:29 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote: What is it about this time of year that makes me into the laziest person alive?! I mean, I even take the 'shortcut' going from one room to another in my apartment...Geez...I even type lazily...ho hum....another 7 months of this :cry:

I guess we gotta drag you out to some pub as much as possible, but keep you from taking any booze :wink:

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:02 am

pub-nobooze, pub-no booze, pub-no booze....nope, sorry, just can't get that concept through my head. :)

George Bernard Shaw

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:13 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote:pub-nobooze, pub-no booze, pub-no booze....nope, sorry, just can't get that concept through my head. :)

How is it that I KNEW you were going to say something like that? :wink:

MPballet

Post by MPballet » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:24 pm

turbodank23, I have the similar situation! I can't offer advice because I don't even trust my own. I am in my own hell! Remember though, visiting a country and living in a country are two different things. But keep in mind that living in a place doesn't have to be forever.

Right now in my situateion, it's more wise for him to move to USA on a fiance visa. I am settled here with an apartment and a job. He wants to go back to Finland in the future so soon I will be living there. The job market is my top concern though!

I know that LDR can work out just as easily as a close distance relationship. Sometimes even better.

I WISH YOU LUCK MY FRIEND!
You're not crazy, you're going sane in a crazy world

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:11 pm

interesting topic...

i was in a long distance relationship for the past 3 years until i moved to Finland 8 months ago. it was hard being far away from each other, financially and mentally, but we were able to pull through. now i'm living here in Helsinki close to him which is good regarding our relationship but....

i was just at the pub with a friend of mine whom i met through Finnish language courses and we spent a good 2½ hours complaining about things. we're both in the same situation - we moved here for our other half. i must admit that i've been really depressed lately. partly cause i can't 1. get a job 2. find any "real" friends 3. feel at home here. i miss london which i believe is my true home...partly cause i technically "grew up" there. but, london isn't the place to be if you want to settle down and have kids later on...the environment is too hectic. that's one deciding factor to why it was best for me to move to Finland rather than him moving to London.

regarding the job front, i can't get one cause of the visa i'm under. it's supposidly under a special clause due to the fact that i'm getting married next year. it's only a temp visa for 1 year which started in April, so that means i have to renew my visa again soon. the only way i can get a job is if a company hires me and sponsores me over. i've found it difficult for anyone to hire me despite how many CVs i've sent out due to my skill set - there are already a lot of people who could do what i do :( so, i was thinking of going back to studying again despite already achieving a BS degree in the UK - just so i can expand my skill set, hopefully get some headhunters to take a look at my work and to also occupy myself.

i've found it really hard to find friends here despite being introduced to some Finnish people through a friend of mine in London. maybe it's my luck but most of the people that i encounter seem cool at first then they start to use you for something and it doesn't seem like a friendship anymore it just feels like a parasite/host type of relationship. i do have a couple of friends which i've met through the language course (like the one i went to the pub with) but again, they're in the same exact situation as i am so it's sort of like misery enjoys company kind of thing.

though Finland is a beautiful and clean country and it does seem a lot better than how my living conditions were in the UK, it's still a really boring place in my honest opinion. i look around when i walk the streets and everyone looks miserable. also, i still think this country is VERY xenophobic. though i was born in America, my cultural background is Filipino. i've already had 3 racist confrontations since i've been here and it's really got me down. just last week someone called me a "@#$%^&" and i thought ok this person's really sad...they just called me a derrogatory term that doesn't even match my skin colour...if they were going to make fun of my skin colour at least get it RIGHT and call me a chink or something :roll:

i must admit i was really really happy to find this website to see more people who can relate to my situation. whoa! long post maybe i should stop typing :oops:
b0 selecta!

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:42 pm

Been there, done it, got the t'shirt! Met wife while at uni. She was on exchange course for 6 months then she went back home to Finland. LDR for three years. Then we got married and she came to the UK - the problems were all the same as they are for Brits in Finland except she could speak the lingo. We could have moved to Finland then but I knew it would be a struggle so we spent a few years in neutral English speaking territory. That was a good move for us both. By then I had 8 years work experience in a job where the skills are transferable between countries. I got a job offer in Finland and then came over. I would not come over here without a job lined up if I did not have marketable job experience and perfect Finnish, that is just asking to be disappointed. Of course I still have all the other probs like no friends of my own, no family nearby and bad Finnish language skills but at least I have a job (at the moment).

turbodank23

Post by turbodank23 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:07 am

BOO FI it seems there are still a great number of ignorant humans on this planet still sorry to hear about the racist attack i live in a small and i mean small no red lights United states town population of like 200-300 and there is a very growing trend of just settling down here and having kids and working at the local factories I live 2 minutes from Three Mile Island Nuclear Facility the one that had the accident in the 60s i think or 70s not sure im only 20 but i dont want to im met my girlfriend through my good friend and we just hit it off dated for 5 months then she moved back now we have been dating for 10 months and seen each other 3 times and im spending x-mas in helsinki so if anyone lives in Espoo and wants to go to pub holla at me my girl lives like 2 bus stops from tapiola her parents to me seem rich but everyone does compared to the town i live in i do have a friend who just moved to paris and his parents own a house in tokoyo and my town he hates paris probaly cause the us france not sure well no more rambling for me just happy holidays and thanks for advice
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

JessOz

Post by JessOz » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:14 pm

Having arrived here only 2 weeks ago, I'm still fully enjoying the honeymoon period (end of 1-year of LDR). Even the darkness is more exotic than depressing to me.

I don't expect these feelings to last though. It was a difficult decision to come here for my b/f. Afterall, Sydney is such an attractive city, and I was just finishing my degree and getting a career started. My b/f and I had had many discussions and arguments, and finally it was decided that even if I got the top job I could get in Sydney, he'd still be making more money than I would, because he's an engineer and I'm an arts graduate. :(

Every now and then I wonder if I'm just wasting my time. I'm on a working-holiday visa, no job yet, and it's not like my b/f and I are engaged or anything. So far everything is good, but I'm also aware of the possibility of kind of no-job-leads-to-break-up scenario. I do, afterall, have my own ambitions.

I guess I'm just posting a question to those who are in similar situations, how do you cope with these issues? Do you get bored without a job? (I do! And I've only been here for 2 weeks!) I always feel a bit embarrassed, too, when people ask me what I'm going to do in Finland. Er....learn Finnish??? Not very interesting is it!?!?

On this cheerful note, I wish you all a merry Christmas!! Honestly though, the snow-covered landscape is breathtaking. I'm also very happy to have found this forum. At least one doesn't feel so lonely anymore.

Cheers!