Being pregnant in Finland - experiences

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
RA

Post by RA » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:00 am

Oh, Gigi. Hugs. Be strong. :cry:

saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sarael

Post by sarael » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:46 pm

i'm so sorry about your miscarriage Gigi :cry:
*hugs*

Sara

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 pm

x
Last edited by Gigi on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:02 am

Really sorry to hear that Gigi, virtual hugs to you, take care.
Allie
Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

sinti

Post by sinti » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:16 am

Gigi, sorry to hear. i can imagine what it means to you and your family. Can wish you only try to be strong and try again after a while. We will be here still waiting for you.

Then I thought of continuing this thread as Gigi suggested at first.
For example, how is it here in Finland with work and pregnancy? When you go to neuvola do you do it during your working hours or in your free time?
Do you keep the news with you for a longer time or say to your employers in the first tremester already about your pregnancy?

Thanks!

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:28 am

Well I went to Neuvola at 8am while I was working, Im home now so it doesnt matter so much. But I ask for 9am appointments as husband comes too :D

If you cant get a time outside of work, you get the time off work. They are generally very good at arranging times to suit you (within their working day of course.

I told my manager as soon as I found out as I was really tired and it was showing. But I didnt have any concerns about telling as I knew she would be excited for me. Im not sure when you legally have to tell your employer in Finland, in the UK its week 25 you have to let them know.

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Where do you have to go to be refered for a scan? Is it neuvola or your terveyskeskus? I just had one in France which is not brilliant as it shows a pregnancy aged 6 weeks when I should be 10 :( Therefore the doctor told me that I need to have another scan done in ten days to see if the pregnancy is evolving or not :(

Sara

Post by Sara » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:07 pm

Im really sorry to hear that Amandine. You need to go through your neuvola, then they give you the contact information for the hospital to arrange the scan.

sinti

Post by sinti » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 am

Yes, you need to go through Neuvola. At least my neuvola had to send something to the hospital first and only then I could be received there.
Then normally the hospital would send me home the time I have to go for the ultrasound (if that is the same as scan). But our nurse was so kind and she called to hospital herself to make the appointment for us, as we had tight time schedules with husband at work.

Hope for the best and just do not worry and stree too much. Fingers crossed for you.

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks for your kind advise. My husband phoned the neuvola and they told us to go straight away to Katilöoppisto straight after I come home to the out-of-hours. So we'll go tomorrow morning... I'm not optimistic, the blood test are not good either :(

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:00 pm

Im sorry to hear that. Im glad though that you dont have to wait for an appointment. Thinking of you tomorrow xx

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:04 pm

Hei, Amandine.K, how are things now for you? I hope it all goes well after all....
I just had a miscarriage, 10 wks preg, so I went to the doc who sent me to Tampere hospital immediately, where I had scan etc & they said I could stay in overnight if I wanted to, to rest. as I had lost so much blood, & I really didn´t want to go home to 3, active, under 5´s :roll: But the hospital was great. The lady at the neuvola was very supportive on the follow up too.

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Hi!

@oompah18, I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage! I wish you all the strength in the world! As you maybe have read, I had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago at 9w, so I know how you feel!

In my case the hospital wasn't that very great... They forgot to give me the anti-serum as my bloodgroup is 'negative' and when I went back in the middle of the night because I was having awful pains, the doctor wasn't please to see me at all and I felt really stupid for going there.
Anyway my neuvola nurse was also great and very supportive! And I went back for a follow-up at the hospital last week and seems that my body has recovered well and my doctor gave me permission to start trying again. Which gave me good hope...

@Amandine K. Have you got any news? How are you doing? I hope everything is fine!

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 pm

good luck gigi! They said my blood count isn´t normal yet so I have to have a blood test every week till it returns to normal, & then we can try again!..... still waiting....

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:28 pm

Well we went to out of hours in Naisten Klinikka yesterday (it wasn't Katilöopisto afterall). We waited 2 hours and a half, saw the doctor who wasn't dead empathic. She told me to undress, started the exam ... and left in the middle of it. We were told to wait in the office that she'll be away 15 minutes. After 5 minutes the nurse asked us to wait in the corridor, 5 minutes later we were sent back to the waiting room. All in all we waited 7 hours! What should have been 15 mn for the doc to come back turned into a nightmare of 5h! Unbelievable, we were not told anything, just that they were other patients to see than myself. After 4h of waiting to go back in there to know what was going on I was a wreck, I couldn't stop crying :(

Eventually she called me in again and did the ultrasound. I was really expecting her to tell me I was miscarrying and that I would need to come back for a curetage but no... She actually found the sac, with the embryo and a very very weak heartbeat. Still it's a heartbeat as she said. I was so shocked I forgot to ask how weak it was... I have to go back in a week to check. According to her it's a pregnancy of 5 weeks and 3 days old. Which is weird as the last time I "saw" my husband was 4 weeks ago. She didn't see the other sac anymore so I guess that's what I lost on Thursday evening. I'm still spotting as well. It's hard to be optimistic though. The nurse in me is telling me that it's probably going to be over by the next scan... Very weak heartbeat, poor development, it doesn't sound like a very good prognostic. I will keep you updated though as you are all so kind. Oompah I'm sorry to read your bad news. It looks like the expat. mums-to-be haven't been doing well lately. Let's hope for a brighter future in a couple of weeks! We'll know more about our future in a week, I wish we could just know for sure what is going on. The unknown is the worst part for me.

Btw did they tell you to wait to start again for a baby?